Speckled eggs? Did these come from the same hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickiChica, Nov 13, 2011.

1. ChickiChica

ChickiChica Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Humboldt County, CA
    Our girls are just starting to lay and I am trying to figure out who is laying the speckled eggs.
    I got one speckled egg yesterday (not sure what time) and one today.
    The one yesterday was light brown in color and was covered in very small brown speckles.
    The one today was a much richer brown and the speckles a bit bigger and with a little more space between them.
    Does this seem like it is probably the same girl, getting her inkjets warmed up, or is it possible that we have two laying speckled eggs?

I've ruled out our RIR and Australorp.
    I'm sure that one if not both of these is the Welsummer -
    but is it possible that the Buff Orph or Dominique laid the other?

Thanks!
    I can't figure out how to post a picture here or I would. Let's see if this works:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

The speckles you are seeing on your girls eggs will come and go. It all has to do with there diet. They sure look neat!

3. ChickiChica

ChickiChica Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Humboldt County, CA
    Thanks! Would you guess that these are Welsummer eggs?
    Or possibly Buff Orph?

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    My guess is welsummer: I think they are known to lay speckled eggs. Very pretty! [​IMG]

5. greensandjeans

greensandjeans Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    I would say that they eggs came from different hens. The base shade below the speckles looks too different to me to be the same hen. Each of my brown egg-laying hens has a different shade of brown. Sometimes they have white or brown speckles on top, but the base shade of brown remains the same. So I think you have two hens laying!

6. kkourie

kkourie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    I also have brown egg layers. I think the Barred Rocks lay the lighter brown. The RIR the darker. Today 2 of the eggs had freckles. My DH said he fed a couple of the ladies worms yesterday. Maybe the extra protein?[​IMG]

7. Echolalia

Echolalia Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    San Francisco
    Tho one on the right looks like a Welsummer egg. They lay a lovely speckly brown egg that can be as dark as the color of cocoa powder.

8. torrelee

torrelee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    My mom's welsummer eggs look like that. I have australorps and they do occasionally speckle, but usually only on one end?!?! [​IMG]

9. daver

daver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    So far, I have not seen a BO egg speckled with anything but occasionally white spec. Our Brahma eggs will do that once in a while.

10. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    My BR's lay some speckled eggs..they are so pretty. What in the diet can make them speckled?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by