Speckled eggs :)

Beccazon

Crowing
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan Thumb
One of my girls...I suspect one of the Brahmas...has been laying these beautiful speckled eggs this week. Do each chickens egg pigments change over time? So far each hen is consistently laying their own color so I know who's is who's which is why I suspect the brahma but not caught her in the act yet...only nesting. Any info? Guesses? I love these!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    509.7 KB · Views: 17
It takes about 24 hrs to produce an egg and most of that time is in the shell production. Any number of things can happen during that time to cause variations in the egg shell. A tiny blood vessel can burst and stress can cause this. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Oh I'm not worried lol we grew up with only brown farm eggs and often speckled. Not ours...from friends. I just love them. Wondering if particular breeds are more prone to them or what causes it and if a hen lays these, will she continue to. So I got part of that answered now :) a blood vessel can change pigment? Funky. Makes sense though especially in newer layers. Stress makes sense. But must be random as no changes in weather or home or obvious issues. Thank you! If it continues, should I observe more closely for stresses or bleeding? Or do I get to just enjoy my freckled eggies? Lol

Stress makes sense. But must be random as no changes in weather or home or obvious issues. Thank you! If it continues, should I observe more closely for stresses or bleeding? Or do I get to just enjoy my freckled eggies? Lol
I don't mean major stress. I think chickens are always mildly stressed. It's their social norm, the pecking order, and the fact that they are prey. Stress is what keeps them safe and alive.

Very pretty eggs! You are probably right about who's it is. I have a speckled Sussex what lays speckled eggs. She is only girl I have that gives me speckled eggs, so I always know it's her!
My girls started separately so each week another seems to join the laying ranks lol. Been easy to know who's is who's. Until now. My 2 brahmas are head hen (Freckles lol) and solo gal (Spaz...she likes her alone time). Spaz has been hanging in the coop and run a lot just chillin'. I suspect her as she does hop in and nest, But if I am nearby, she will eventually let her pride or privacy best her and she goes off wherever. Next time I'm in the coop, hours later sometimes, there is this egg. Sometimes BEFORE my other layers have done there magic so hard to prove it's her.

Back
Top Bottom