Speckled eggs :)

My girls started separately so each week another seems to join the laying ranks lol. Been easy to know who's is who's. Until now. My 2 brahmas are head hen (Freckles lol) and solo gal (Spaz...she likes her alone time). Spaz has been hanging in the coop and run a lot just chillin'. I suspect her as she does hop in and nest, But if I am nearby, she will eventually let her pride or privacy best her and she goes off wherever. Next time I'm in the coop, hours later sometimes, there is this egg. Sometimes BEFORE my other layers have done there magic so hard to prove it's her.
One of these days you will walk in the coop at just the moment when that egg is laid and then you will know! Chickens are fun ain't they? :lol:

Those look to dark for brahma eggs,
but mine laid purplish bloom speckles over an almost a pinkish coating.

'Speckled' eggs can happen for several different reasons...very few, if any, of which are a 'problem'.
Can be caused by:
Excess or uneven pigment coating.
Excess or uneven cuticle(bloom).
Excess calcium deposits.
Porous eggs can appear speckled.
Some birds lay them consistently, some only once in awhile.
The pigment or bloom can change appearance when wet, then change back when dry again.

As long as bird is getting a good diet and is healthy in every other way, it is no cause for concern.

Back
Top Bottom