speckled eggs?

lashla

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 11, 2014
Oregon

Should I be concerned about speckled eggs? I found an egg with spots on it today (you can see a cluster of raised specks in the light). My other hen seems to be laying smooth, light brown eggs like normal!

Not at all! It's just a minor malfunction in either adding the pigment or calcium (if it's rough). It happens sometimes to all hens, you can't get a perfect egg every time.

My Welsummers' eggs are spotted too sometimes, but when they're fresh I can wipe the color off, it seems to be darkened blood?? No blood or color in the nest box though and the hens are acting normal.. Is this normal?

My Welsummers' eggs are spotted too sometimes, but when they're fresh I can wipe the color off, it seems to be darkened blood?? No blood or color in the nest box though and the hens are acting normal.. Is this normal?

If the bloom is still wet when you wipe it off it might be a little extra pigment but if it is not (dry) you want to take a look at your hen's vent. For larger then normal eggs and new layers it is not unusual for a little smear of blood but if this is a normal sized egg then they need to be looked at. You van put a little oil or Vasselene in the vent to help it come out easier. You also want to watch that hen for prolapse. They don't always get a prolapse but if they are straining for each egg it is possible.

Hmm. I would definitely look into that. Especially if it's happening frequently.
D.gif

In response to the original post, my Dominique lays eggs like that every week. She sometimes has smooth ones in the lighter brown and then others she has dark speckles and rough spots. They looked like they were coming from 2 different chickens, but I have put a game cam into our coop and know for sure she is the one laying them. She is about half and half with both types of eggs. It makes an interesting addition to the eggs I sell....1 bird....2 eggs.
big_smile.png

Her eggs are the left and center eggs (right one is from my giant jersey/silkie mix).

Wendy

It is bits of undigested protein, it is nothing to worry about, its just bits of protein which haven't been dissolved but still going into the coating of the egg shell :)

It's not blood, it's just pigment. My understanding is the brown color is "sprayed" on at the end of the egg-making cycle. Some hens get a clog in their sprayer, causing speckling. It washes off most times....I have speckled egg layers and cherish them...

in this pic, on the speckled egg you can see where some of the specks washed on the lower right.

I also have a hen or two that put some kind of calcium deposits or something on the shell, so the brown spray doesn't stick, causing white specks on the brown egg...they're hard to see

The darker spots are just water where the egg wasn't dry yet. I'm working on patience lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom