Speckled Sussex Hatchery Birds - Where did you get yours?

Just yesterday I lost my two SS girls (dog attack) that came from Ideal 3 years ago and they were ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL.

I'm bumping the thread, since I'm researching hatchery Speckled Sussex. I've pretty much decided that Sussex are my chickens of choice for the coming spring, and hatcheries are beginning to take advance orders.

A local woman recommended McMurray SS, but I was hoping for more information on other hatcheries. In reviews on the internet, efowl receives excellent reviews, but I haven't seen any information on what their birds are like. I like Cackle's variety and website a lot.

I'm hoping more people will comment on their Speckled Sussex chickens and their sources.

Bumping again!

So who out there owns a Speckled Sussex? Where did you order in Spring 2015?

Can you please post a photo of your Sussex along with the name of the hatchery where you got her?

Thanks!!!!!

Glad to see someone else is interested. I'm primarily interested in friendliness and reliable laying hens. Maybe on the friendliness score I cannot go wrong, and SS are going to be friendly and inquisitive birds regardless of source. That would be nice.

As I wrote above, McMurray came recommended, but several reviews of McMurray have complained of loss of entire shipments that the purchaser attributed to the extra day sitting in a postal service warehouse or shipping dock for the Friday shipments that McMurray uses. ??

I'm looking for big, super spotty Sussex to expand bloodlines on my Alohas.

Around here, most chicks sold in feed store come from Privett Hatchery in New Mexico. Every Sussex chick that I've tried to raise from them ended up about average size (not small but not huge either) with very small, subdued spotting.

I got a hen locally that the girl got from eggs back east - it may have been McMurray. The hen was small but had GORGEOUS spotting.

I would love to see photos of grown Speckled Sussex hens (especially several hens, as one chick doesn't always represent a good sample) from various hatcheries. If anyone has any Sussex from any hatchery, please post a photo and where you got her from! :)

I got my speckled sussex from chickensforbackyards I like the way she turned out.
smile.png

Hey there Pandapaws23 - how did your Sussex girls come out from Chickensforbackyards? Were they pretty? Healthy? Good layers? Active? Bossy? Mean? Nice?

I got my Speckled Sussex girls from Welp in April 2014.

Here is all 4 of them two have a lot of white, two don't. The one in the middle that has the most white actually looked identical to her sister right below her until after her first adult molt. Then she gained a ton more white, mostly in the tail and head/neck areas.

Here is a closer look after her new feathers started coming in

A better view of the pattern and whiteness difference between her and her most similar sister

One of my hens with less white on her

A close up of the feathers on two of my Speckled hens

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Bumping this thread again!

If you have ADULT (fully grown) Speckled Sussex, that you got from a hatchery, share pics and tell us where you got them.

Hopefully this will help people thinking of ordering chicks this spring pick the right hatchery for them.

Don't be shy - show off your beauties!
smile.png

Thanks!

This is a hen from McMurray, hatched spring of 2016. I kept back seven (roughly 50%) from that order that weren't severely white. I'll try to remember to get some new pictures this week of all the girls and my roo.

Back
Top Bottom