Speckled Sussex Hen - Broodiness of these hens???

Mommysongbird

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Small Town, Virginia
Anyone raise speckled sussex?? I have 2 and one is what I believe to be broody. I have had many broody girls, so I know broody, but I was told that these hens don't do the broody thing. LOL

So if anyone has raised them, do they do the broody thing and are they good at it??

She and her "sister" don't lay a lot and what they do lay are small eggs, they were a year old in March. So if she is truly broody and will stay that way, I have some chicks that I would like to put under her. Good idea or no???

Thanks

Well when I got them from Southern States last year as nearly 2.5 week old birds (got like 24 Speckled Sussex and RIR together) I told them that I didn't know a whole lot about the sussex and didn't want anything that gets broody as I had 3 good broody hens already.

They said not to worry because neither the Sussex or RIR get broody and if they do, it doesn't last. As in they won't sit very long.

So I guess they have no idea.

Thanks for the info. She is out of the box right now (or was when I went out to collect eggs) but her sister was there. They don't like to be around each other in the coop.

I don't know who told you that Speckled Sussex don't go broody, but I've raised them over the years, and they definitely do go broody, and they make good mothers as well.
I acquired 3 Sussex chicks last June (2018). It's not even mid February and one Sussex is already broody along with a silkie and an old English gamebird hen.

I acquired 3 Sussex chicks last June (2018). It's not even mid February and one Sussex is already broody along with a silkie and an old English game bird hen. Several articles online have said Sussex don't go broody. Can't imagine why they're still around then.

Back
Top Bottom