Speckled Sussex Hen or Roo?

My Salt is the same age and is a definite rooster! This one has a very sna comb, in gonna say puller
yippiechickie.gif
Good news! Thank you Peep-Chicken!

I'm guessing pullet. My SS Wendy looked like a cockerel until she was the first to lay an egg! I was convinced I had a boy! She had what I thought were pointy saddle feathers as well as a colorful tail that seemed too long! You can go to my profile to see pictures of her! But your's looks like a pullet to me!

ya.gif
More good news! I wouldn't mind a SS roo but I have too many cockerels already... Thank you, Mexiontheloose! I will check out your chicken pics for comparison!

I have heard such wonderful things about buff orpington roosters! I'm pretty much set on them as the next rooster to get. Well, that is if we ever get another rooster. My mom insists they're too hard on the hens- I think our two are just a little intense.
wink.png

I wouldn't worry too much about dominance being an indicator though. Our top dominant chicken is a hen. The boys still mate her, but when she's mad, everyone knows to stay away!
big_smile.png

It's been so long (forgot my password)....but I just wanted to bump this real quick with an update. ALL my Sussex turned out to be hens! Excellent accuracy everyone!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks again!

Idas Chickens

Hello Everyone

I bought three hatchery chicks to go along with my first attempt at hatching. I was convinced I would only have one chick to hatch, (I had 4), so I bought 3 from a hatchery. I picked three breeds I didn't all ready have from what was available to ship out right away. I bought a White Maran, a Speckled Sussex, and an Austra White. The first time I ordered from a hatchery all female, I ended up getting a mis sexed roo. He turned out to be very human aggressive, and I had to get rid of him.

I think I may have gotten another mis sexed rooster. The Speckled Sussex is 5 weeks old, and I am all ready sensing a comb and waddles growing. I'm bummed, I don't need another rooster. I realize they are only 5 weeks, but can anyone give me an early indication on what they think? I read in another roo/hen ss thread there is a difference in body shape with the males, but I cant remember if it was the longer body, or a rounded one for the SS male.

Any input is greatly appreciated

Here "she/he" is...

I don't have tons of experience with speckled Sussex, but it does look like a little rooster. The next week or so should confirm.

Back
Top Bottom