Speckled Sussex Hen/Roo?

Chrismartin209

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2022
I bought this Speckled Sussex from TS and it was said to be a pullet; I’m not sold on it, lol. The chick is about 10 weeks old.

Attachments

• 8E212541-CDC5-45CF-B20D-307A75AC32D3.jpeg
    8E212541-CDC5-45CF-B20D-307A75AC32D3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 109
  • 2CF93F93-6809-4245-8328-6606DA392903.jpeg
    2CF93F93-6809-4245-8328-6606DA392903.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
I would guess yours is a cockerel.

But I will say my SS pullet developed in a more masculine way earlier than any of our other chicks (except our SS cockerel). If we didn't have one of each sex I would be convinced she was a he. I will see if I can find some pics of them a few weeks ago for you.

Mine are only 11-12 weeks now. These pics have been taken over the past 4 weeks or so, for frame of reference. We only have 2 speckled sussex, so not a large sample to go off of (and both were supposed to be pullets) but the sexual dimorphism is very clear between the two.
20230729_131542_capture.jpg

Clyde
20230802_201540_capture.jpg

Clyde again
20230816_220843.jpg

Bonnie close up around 10wks
20230719_164308_capture.jpg
Bonnie and Clyde together. See how much white he has already? Also, the iridescent quality of his feathers was very visible very early. Also, Clyde's head whitened a lot very early (by 2 wks the white feathers were distinctive), while Bonnie's feathers mostly just speckled up in comparison.

Alternatively, Bonnie's legs were as thick as his, and significantly thicker than most other pullets all the way up to very recently. She also developed her comb and wattle by around 6 weeks as much as they are developed right now. But hers sort of froze, not turning pinker after that, while his have really enlarged and reddened.

Anyway, not sure if this will help you, but I know I have been helped a lot by revisiting conversations like this, so I figured I would go all in. Hope it helps someone.

I would guess yours is a cockerel.

But I will say my SS pullet developed in a more masculine way earlier than any of our other chicks (except our SS cockerel). If we didn't have one of each sex I would be convinced she was a he. I will see if I can find some pics of them a few weeks ago for you.

Mine are only 11-12 weeks now. These pics have been taken over the past 4 weeks or so, for frame of reference. We only have 2 speckled sussex, so not a large sample to go off of (and both were supposed to be pullets) but the sexual dimorphism is very clear between the two.View attachment 3611364
Clyde
View attachment 3611366
Clyde again
View attachment 3611378
Bonnie close up around 10wks
View attachment 3611380Bonnie and Clyde together. See how much white he has already? Also, the iridescent quality of his feathers was very visible very early. Also, Clyde's head whitened a lot very early (by 2 wks the white feathers were distinctive), while Bonnie's feathers mostly just speckled up in comparison.

Alternatively, Bonnie's legs were as thick as his, and significantly thicker than most other pullets all the way up to very recently. She also developed her comb and wattle by around 6 weeks as much as they are developed right now. But hers sort of froze, not turning pinker after that, while his have really enlarged and reddened.

Anyway, not sure if this will help you, but I know I have been helped a lot by revisiting conversations like this, so I figured I would go all in. Hope it helps someone.
Thank you for the very thorough reply. (Also thank you everyone else for the replies). I see what you mean. We only have one so we didn’t have anything to go off of. But I have an olive egger that got bright red and big wattles and comb early and ended up being a hen, so I was hoping. Lol. Guess it’s time to find a new home for this little guy.

Back
Top Bottom