Speckled Sussex & Jubilee Orpington

I definitely understand! They are quite similar, and especially if you're looking at hatchery quality specimens of the breeds. Both are red mille fleur patterned, both have single combs, both have light skin, and both should lay brown eggs.

Jubilee Orpingtons tend to be English standard Orpingtons, which means they are larger, rounder, fluffier, and tend to have less of a distinct tail because of how rounded they are. From a hatchery, you'll likely see scrawnier birds with more apparent tails, making them harder to distinguish from Sussex, who are built a bit more lean, have apparent tails, and are generally not as fluffy.

This is not to mention the temperament differences between the breeds. Sussex tend to be more bold, inquisitive, adventurous birds, while Orpingtons tend to be lumbering gentle giants. Of course you can get birds of either breed that land outside of those generalizations, but for the most part their temperaments are at least similar to those descriptions.

Honestly, if you're just into the red mille fleur look and don't care about anything else, get the Sussex. Most hatcheries overprice their Jubilee Orpingtons, quite frankly, and either way you'll get nice birds with pretty feathers.

This is not to mention the temperament differences between the breeds. Sussex tend to be more bold, inquisitive, adventurous birds, while Orpingtons tend to be lumbering gentle giants. Of course you can get birds of either breed that land outside of those generalizations, but for the most part their temperaments are at least similar to those descriptions.
Agree with this! My speckled Sussex is nosy, curious and unafraid. She is always on the lookout! However, she likes to jump on my lap and take a rest for a few minutes here and there, and doesn’t mind the occasional chin scratch or back pet. She is very very sweet and kind to the other chickens.

My (Buff) Orpington is extremely friendly, not as inquisitive but does like to explore, and is also very gentle.

There are always exceptions, but mine fit the standard stereotype pretty well, and have awesome friendly, non flighty personalities! If you want to try both breeds, I suggest a speckled Sussex for the pattern, and a less-rare color Orpington like a Buff or Chocolate to enjoy a laid back, cuddly breed!

Agree with this! My speckled Sussex is nosy, curious and unafraid. She is always on the lookout! However, she likes to jump on my lap and take a rest for a few minutes here and there, and doesn’t mind the occasional chin scratch or back pet. She is very very sweet and kind to the other chickens.

My (Buff) Orpington is extremely friendly, not as inquisitive but does like to explore, and is also very gentle.

There are always exceptions, but mine fit the standard stereotype pretty well, and have awesome friendly, non flighty personalities! If you want to try both breeds, I suggest a speckled Sussex for the pattern, and a less-rare color Orpington like a Buff or Chocolate to enjoy a laid back, cuddly breed!
Buffs are already in the house. :D

My speckled Sussex is nosy,

Haha, that's how I always described mine, too! They've both long since passed of old age, but they were such curious birds that I always knew they'd be right there to see what was up if I was doing anything outside. 🤭

Iddy Biddy 9-30-17.jpg

Haha, that's how I always described mine, too! They've both long since passed of old age, but they were such curious birds that I always knew they'd be right there to see what was up if I was doing anything outside. 🤭

View attachment 3227037
wow, "14 roos"; I'll bet your place is liiiively!!!! As far as mating isn't it hard to keep up with who was with whom and who's baby is that? :idunno

That number should be around 18 once I decide on the keepers out of all the cockerels I have running around and they finish growing up. 😉 It does get to be noisy here!

I have several different coops and pens for my birds, so it isn't too hard to keep track of those things. The big mixed flock has 3 boys in it, but I don't really hatch eggs from that group, only occasionally I'll pull one or several specific hens out with a specific rooster to another pen if I decide to hatch something from them so that I know whose genetics are going into those chicks. Then I have two (soon to be three) side flocks with just my Cochins, one male per flock, so I always know who the father is out of those groups.

And the rest of the boys are in bachelor groups because I have attachment issues and can't let some of them go. 😅

That number should be around 18 once I decide on the keepers out of all the cockerels I have running around and they finish growing up. 😉 It does get to be noisy here!

I have several different coops and pens for my birds, so it isn't too hard to keep track of those things. The big mixed flock has 3 boys in it, but I don't really hatch eggs from that group, only occasionally I'll pull one or several specific hens out with a specific rooster to another pen if I decide to hatch something from them so that I know whose genetics are going into those chicks. Then I have two (soon to be three) side flocks with just my Cochins, one male per flock, so I always know who the father is out of those groups.

And the rest of the boys are in bachelor groups because I have attachment issues and can't let some of them go. 😅
Still amazed at your org. skills. Don't they ever be like "Yaw'll make me sick I am going over there to hang out with THOSE birds" when they see them out and about?

I mean THEY realize they are a "flock"? Mine are still brooding so I have yet to ibserve them outside flockong about. Kinda excited to see the dynamics especially reading your set up.

So, I have two sets of broods, same room different brooders and they are going to know "Hey, she/he aint 'one of us'" once I let them outside in coop and run? Wow!! They are approx. 4 weeks dofference in age. Maybe a lil more.

No, they would probably merge if they were all loose together. I only free-range the mixed flock, and the rest of them have generous pens that they stay in. Those I've read about with multiple flocks free-ranging together generally have the flocks eventually merge and all decide to stay in the same coop, whether there's enough elbow room in that coop for that many birds or not.

I also wouldn't be able to be sure who fathered chicks out of my breeder flocks if I had them loose with the mixed flock and the roosters in it, so it's more beneficial for me to keep them fenced off from one another and prevent mixed babies when I don't want them. Chickens have a tendency to breed rather indiscriminately. 😅

You might find that your birds kind of group up based on age or breed, but in the end they'll generally all go to the same coop whether they have more than one coop to perch in or not.

Back
Top Bottom