Speckled Sussex - NO??

Is the color off on my monitor or is your bird white-skinned? She should have yellow legs (SS would have white). That may have been the reason for the chick confusion because other than the skin color, those chipmunk chicks tend to look a lot alike. If her earlobes redden, I'd say hatchery-quality Welsummer. If they go white, HQ brown Leghorn.

ETA: And she's definitely a she -- the coloration gives her away. Pullets and cockerels both raise neck feathers and feet at each other when working out their pecking order.

Last edited:
Quote:
I see yellow legs.
smile.png

I know I'm going against the majority here but honestly...... my speckled sussexes looked like this and I was so confused about it until they started to get those white spots. I kept thinking that they might be my golden wyondettes (with the feathering) (but couldn't be cuz of the comb) or that maybe I had gotten brown leghorns by error.... with a little patience on my end....they started to look like they are supposed to.

How old are they?

~Tammy

Quote:
Oh? wow, I thought maybe she was closer to 3 months. Guess I need to put my glasses on. LOL

Well, by 5 months I would say she should have her spots if she was a speckled sussex.....so either she isn't as old as they told you or she's probably not a sussex...

By the way, if she is a wels then I'd be thrilled....I hear those dark eggs are perty... I'm thinking of getting some next year because of the dark eggs.
smile.png

Keep us updated cuz now I'm curious. At 5 months, if she is a wels, you'll know soon enough cuz she should be starting to lay and her eggs will be dark dark brown.

I'm trying to see if I took some pics of mine right before they got their white spots.....still looking and if I find one, I'll post it.

Blessings,
~Tammy

I personally think she looks like a leghorn. I have a leghorn pullet identical to her. I too thought she was a welsummer, but I don't have any welsummers and I hatched her from the eggs of my own brown leghorns, which were white. Only time will tell. My hens take a long time to get their earlobes pure white, right now they are a light pink.

Back
Top Bottom