White Speckled Sussex?

I had 2 roosters at a time. Both were buckeyes though. My hens, other than my SS, are Silver Laced Wyandottes, Black Copper Marans, and Buckeyes.

I got 2 of this coloration in my first batch but 1 didnt make it. And now in my secind batch I have 3.

I will do my best to get a picture and put it up as soon as I can!
The Silver Laced Wyandotte hens are producing sexlink chicks: sons look like that, daughters are colored about like a Buckeye or like a Speckled Sussex but without the speckles.

Do you know how this chick could have came out white?
The Silver gene turns red/gold into white. The Silver Laced Wyandotte hen has the Silver gene, and so does the chick in the photo.

Silver is a sex-linked gene, located on the Z sex chromosome. A rooster has chromosomes ZZ, a hen has ZW. So the Silver hen gives her Z chromosome (with silver) to every one of her sons, and her W chromosome to her daughters (makes them female, but does not have any effect on their color.)

The Silver Laced Wyandotte hens are producing sexlink chicks: sons look like that, daughters are colored about like a Buckeye or like a Speckled Sussex but without the speckles.

The Silver gene turns red/gold into white. The Silver Laced Wyandotte hen has the Silver gene, and so does the chick in the photo.

Silver is a sex-linked gene, located on the Z sex chromosome. A rooster has chromosomes ZZ, a hen has ZW. So the Silver hen gives her Z chromosome (with silver) to every one of her sons, and her W chromosome to her daughters (makes them female, but does not have any effect on their color.)
Here is a better picture of his wing design and a picture of his comb. He doesn't have much for the shape of a comb, just a pink bump on his head.

Attachments

• 20240415_102536.jpg
    20240415_102536.jpg
    716.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240415_102531.jpg
    20240415_102531.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 4
Sussex is the bred, speckled is the color. If the chicks hatch out a different color they cant be speckled sussex. If it helps, think of it kinda like dogs. A yellow lab is a color variety, not a breed. Labrador retriever is the breed and Yellow is the color. You wouldn't call a black lab a yellow lab just because the mother was a yellow lab.

If the sire is a buckeye then the chicks are mixed breeds. If we think of it kind of like dogs again it would be like breeding a labrador retriever to a corgi. You wouldn't call the offspring labradors or corgies, they would be mixed breeds.

Here is a better picture of his wing design and a picture of his comb. He doesn't have much for the shape of a comb, just a pink bump on his head.
He has a walnut comb (genetically, rose comb from the Wyandotte mother, pea comb from the Buckeye father, combined to make the shape he's got.)

He has a walnut comb (genetically, rose comb from the Wyandotte mother, pea comb from the Buckeye father, combined to make the shape he's got.)
Oh! I am going to have to look that up! I am excited to see what he grows in to.

Back
Top Bottom