Speckled Sussex or Not?

Hey all!

My friend has gotten a couple of chicks a couple months ago. A Welsummer, Ancona, Barnevelder and a Speckled Sussex. They are progressing nicely but one of them isn't looking exactly like the breed we thought. The Speckled Sussex, Lucia.

The first picture is her at a few week old chick. And the other three are her now, at 12 weeks.

I have seen photos of others and she looks nothing like them, in fact we confuse her for the Barnevelder all the time with the exception of the small white specks. She is very cuddly and friendly, but her colour confuses us. Anyone have any ideas, is she a Speckled Sussex? Or something else?
I disagree with everyone else.
She is a speckled sussex. It takes a while for the speckles to fully develop...longer than you think it should.

I disagree with everyone else.
She is a speckled sussex. It takes a while for the speckles to fully develop...longer than you think it should.
My speckled sussex ar 12 weeks
20210618_063518.jpg

She has actually gotten less speckles the last I looked at her, and I think she has Barnevelder in her, but not sure if it's a cross, or she is simply poor quality of Barnevelder. Hopefully not a cockerel though. But I'm thinking to get more pictures when she is a bit older. Maybe also a comparison photo with the Barnevelder my friends have.

I got a SS and Barnevelder from a hatchery in spring of 2020 and had a tricky time telling the two apart for a while. Once feathers came in, it was easier because the SS had the white tips all over, but their wings were similarly patterned.

If the leg color is yellow, then I’d say not a SS. Mine has white legs but is hardly speckled at all, except white on her ears and head. I’m curious to see if she gets more speckles when she molts. I’ve included some pics of my not-speckled SS.

If I’m remembering correctly, Barnevelder roosters are not double laced but I could be wrong.

Attachments

• 8BC6544A-B6B0-4E40-848F-208E74D35A5D.jpeg
    8BC6544A-B6B0-4E40-848F-208E74D35A5D.jpeg
    615.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 0E6F81F3-8F15-4D93-B594-C58331AEEB7D.jpeg
    0E6F81F3-8F15-4D93-B594-C58331AEEB7D.jpeg
    783.8 KB · Views: 8
  • B90EC7F7-02EC-408B-9E80-6B22A36BF3A6.jpeg
    B90EC7F7-02EC-408B-9E80-6B22A36BF3A6.jpeg
    862.2 KB · Views: 8
Oh wow, that would be difficult to tell them apart. But thanks for the photos.

I actually haven't seen my friends chickens for a bit, since I'm in lockdown so cannot go over there to take a look or get pics. But from what my friend has said they look exactly alike, and are in fact both double laced from what they can see. She does also have those yellow legs so I think she is a Barnevelder, just growing up as a chick was very confusing and looked quite different from the other Barnevelder when they were chicks.

I'll get some photos maybe when I can so you can see how she has grown and is very much not a Species Sussex. Thank you everyone who has offered help.

Back
Top Bottom