Speckled Sussex? Possibly mixed with? Female? 6 weeks old

carolsmith7878

Songster
10 Years
May 28, 2011
Lakeland, FL
Hello,

I hatched this chickie with the idea it was a speckled sussex, but as it grows older... it looks less to me like a speckled sussex. The color is very gray, compared to most pictures that I have seen. It is just over six weeks. I believe that it may be female, but am not sure.

Is it just not showing the proper color yet because it is young? Do they need to molt first? Is it a she or he?

I have another speckled sussex from a hatchery that is more reddish brown and has a different pattern on the wing feathers, so...

Any input is greatly appreciated, though no matter what he/she is... it is a wonderful, friendly bird that we will definitely be keeping.

93763_sussex5.jpg

93763_sussex4.jpg

93763_sussex3.jpg

93763_sussex2.jpg

93763_sussex1.jpg

Thanks!

UPDATE: The lady that sold me the eggs was also selling Silver Phoenix hatching eggs at the same time. I believe we may have a mixup.

My son loves
love.gif
her either way, so it doesn't really matter what breed she is... it is her wonderful personality that counts.

wink.png

Looks like a Silver Phoenix Pullet, but she has green legs so she is Pet Quality.. But since you are keeping her for a pet she will work perfectly. Phoenix make awesome pets!

Back
Top Bottom