1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Speckled Sussex? Possibly mixed with? Female? 6 weeks old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by carolsmith7878, Aug 29, 2011.

1. carolsmith7878

carolsmith7878 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Versailles, MO
    Hello,

I hatched this chickie with the idea it was a speckled sussex, but as it grows older... it looks less to me like a speckled sussex. The color is very gray, compared to most pictures that I have seen. It is just over six weeks. I believe that it may be female, but am not sure.

Is it just not showing the proper color yet because it is young? Do they need to molt first? Is it a she or he?

I have another speckled sussex from a hatchery that is more reddish brown and has a different pattern on the wing feathers, so...

Any input is greatly appreciated, though no matter what he/she is... it is a wonderful, friendly bird that we will definitely be keeping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I don't know but I don't see any Speckled Sussex in her!! [​IMG]

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Silver something, phoenix maybe?

4. carolsmith7878

carolsmith7878 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Versailles, MO
    UPDATE: The lady that sold me the eggs was also selling Silver Phoenix hatching eggs at the same time. I believe we may have a mixup.

My son loves [​IMG] her either way, so it doesn't really matter what breed she is... it is her wonderful personality that counts.

[​IMG]

5. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Looks like a Silver Phoenix Pullet, but she has green legs so she is Pet Quality.. But since you are keeping her for a pet she will work perfectly. Phoenix make awesome pets!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by