Speckled Sussex Sexing

I stumbled upon this thread again and thought I would update it for anyone who is wondering about their young Sussex's gender. The one I suspected to be a cockerel is indeed a cockerel (it was obvious by the time he reached just a few weeks of age), and the two pullets are, well, still pullets. Here's a picture of the cockerel, Orchid.

View attachment 3713498
What a stunner!!

I stumbled upon this thread again and thought I would update it for anyone who is wondering about their young Sussex's gender. The one I suspected to be a cockerel is indeed a cockerel (it was obvious by the time he reached just a few weeks of age), and the two pullets are, well, still pullets. Here's a picture of the cockerel, Orchid.

View attachment 3713498
He’s beautiful!

Here is his wing.

Attach0_20231012_121822.jpg

He's a keeper for sure. Beautiful coloring. The breed is one of my favorites.
Sussex are one of my favorites as well. Great camouflage in the Speckled variety, foragers and barely eat chicken feed, acts like feral chickens apart from their friendly personality. The only bad things about them is the fact that they are low on the pecking order and easily chased off, and when they are chicks they are pretty weak. Orchid also keeps following us around with his hackles raised but never attacks.

Back
Top Bottom