Speckled Sussex Sexing

SwampPrincessChick

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Oct 30, 2022
The Swamp
I purchased three Speckled Sussex from Tractor Supply, and they are four weeks old currently. They were sold as "Premium Pullets" (which I don't believe, since I know how Tractor Supply works 🤦‍♀️), but I have the suspicion that one is a cockerel.

Sorry for the bad-quality photos, I hope you can see enough of their comb!

The first chick pictured is the one I think is a "Premium Cockerel" due to his larger, reddening comb, and thicker legs. Also, he is the first one to sound the warning call when he sees or hears something unusual.
Screenshot_20230623-120103_Video Player.jpg

The second chick pictured is one of his pullet flockmates.
Screenshot_20230623-120051_Video Player.jpg

@SwampQueenChick

I purchased three Speckled Sussex from Tractor Supply, and they are four weeks old currently. They were sold as "Premium Pullets" (which I don't believe, since I know how Tractor Supply works 🤦‍♀️), but I have the suspicion that one is a cockerel.

Sorry for the bad-quality photos, I hope you can see enough of their comb!

The first chick pictured is the one I think is a "Premium Cockerel" due to his larger, reddening comb, and thicker legs. Also, he is the first one to sound the warning call when he sees or hears something unusual.
View attachment 3553009

The second chick pictured is one of his pullet flockmates.
View attachment 3553010

@SwampQueenChick
First one is a cockerel. Two is a pullet, how old?

Ok, thanks then the first one is DEFINITELY a cockerel and number two MIGHT be a cockerel, given that is a big comb for 4 weeks
Sorry for any confusion, but I know his flockmates are pullets. I added the picture of one for comb comparison.

It's too soon to say, many of my sussex hens had rather prominent combs at a few weeks
I agree, I will have to wait until he/she grows up more.

I stumbled upon this thread again and thought I would update it for anyone who is wondering about their young Sussex's gender. The one I suspected to be a cockerel is indeed a cockerel (it was obvious by the time he reached just a few weeks of age), and the two pullets are, well, still pullets. Here's a picture of the cockerel, Orchid.

20231216_165528.jpg

I stumbled upon this thread again and thought I would update it for anyone who is wondering about their young Sussex's gender. The one I suspected to be a cockerel is indeed a cockerel (it was obvious by the time he reached just a few weeks of age), and the two pullets are, well, still pullets. Here's a picture of the cockerel, Orchid.

View attachment 3713498
Nice dark coloring.

Back
Top Bottom