Speckled Sussex standards

LocoPollo

Songster
Aug 13, 2008
Ellijay, GA
Does anyone know anything about speckled sussex? I don't know what qualities I should be looking for in my birds. I have 9 and they are 14 weeks old, so soon I will have to decide which ones to keep and which to cull or give away. They are all beautiful, but one rooster has more white - splotchy. Is that good/bad? I have no idea. Any information would be appreciated, or any sources.

"Each feather on a speckled male should have a white spot at the tip then a broad bar of glossy black, the rest of the feathers being rich dark mahogany. The under colour should be slate and red with minimum of white and the flights in both male and female, white brown and black. The tail of the hen should be black and brown with white tip whilst in the cock the main tail feathers should be black and white and the sickle feathers with white tips."

Taken from justsussex.com. =]

Are you just going to cull them, or will you try to give them away first? If I was closer, I'd probably take your culls for non-showing purposes.

Oh, and I think their legs should be white.

Oh, yeah. I forgot about that option! I don't eat meat, so it never crossed my mind...
tongue.png

Good luck with them!

Back
Top Bottom