Speckled Sussex staying on nest….Please Help…

Wow, 🤮yuck I can't imagine the stench of so many rotten eggs. How did you dispose of them? Bury them? Flush them? Can't exactly throw them in the trash...that can would stink for a year! Lol
I didn’t know what to do with them either! LOL…. Without thinking I just threw them into a pasture on the other side of the property… but I could tell they weren’t breaking…. My vet friend later said “your just giving an open invitation to all predators” 🤦🏼‍♀️. It was very disgusting and I obviously didn’t know a thing about rotten eggs as I do now.

Interesting. Most of the descriptions about the speckled sussex are the same, and mine matches the description pretty closely. I think you Janie, may have a unique speckled sussex. Good for you. It is difficult to see this great chicken being picked on a lot.

"Temperament & Behavior​

When it comes to friendly chicken breeds, you really can’t beat the Speckled Sussex. Calm, docile, and friendly birds, these chickens are happy to trot along behind you in the garden as they forage for grubs and other tasty morsels.

They are known to be a bit mischievous due in part to their naturally curious dispositions. They are resourceful and active, happy to spend their days scratching around in your garden. However, they do take well to confinement, making the breed a good option if you decide to keep chickens throughout the cold winter months, too.

Speckled Sussex chickens are relatively quiet, just chattering along with the usual backyard chicken noise of the egg-laying song or the alert call. You will find that the Sussex hen tends to go broody, too, something that’s beneficial if you want to hatch your own eggs. They set well, and the Sussex hen makes wonderful mothers.

The only downside to the Speckled Sussex’s peaceful disposition is that it can sometimes fall low on the pecking order. Since it’s not the largest chicken you might have in your chicken coop, nor is it the most assertive, it may fall victim to some bullying from other, more assertive chickens.

Nonetheless, the Speckled Sussex is a friendly breed that’s great for chicken keepers with other pets, chickens, and even small children. It’s also a good option for beginners since it has few breed-specific medical concerns or care issues."
That is true which is very unfortunate especially since the babies are so cute

Back
Top Bottom