Speckled Sussex?

Quote:
Yes they are.... I have wanted some ever since I saw the old movie "The Egg & I"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039349/

Great book,too!
ya.gif

Quote:
I'm about an hour northwest of Wichita. My daughter lives in Manhattan and if you want eggs we could probably work something out with meeting there sometime when I go visit her. I won't have any available for a while yet. I'm gonna hatch some more first.

OK great...I'll PM you my email address so you can let me know when you have some available! Thanks!

Mine are great layers. I am in the south but they kept laying in the cold and so sweett.... love affections and won't bite me - really!!!! Blessings our your day.

Mine are from a Canadian source (as you might expect
tongue.png
) which won't be any help to you source-wise, but I have to add another vote for Yay, Speckled Sussexes
wink.png

Mine started laying at 4-4.5 months (well, a bunch, not all of them) and are decent layers, medium-to-large tinted-to-terracotta eggs. At the moment -- probably not full production yet, b/c of the season, I am getting an average of 3-4 eggs a day out of 7 SS hens. They are very sensible, 'reasonable' birds. Not lap-pets, but very friendly and laid-back. If you know horses, they are like quarter horses, sort of
smile.png

Plus of course, purty
smile.png

Does the "Egg And I" old movie have SS in it, then? (edited to add: it seems like an odd choice of breed. YOu sure they are not Anconas? (a mottled breed, once fairly popular as layers). I should try to find a copy. I remember reading the book when I was probably 12 years old and being very amused. But having ZERO interest in chickens then. I think it probably did sort of plant a seed, though
wink.png

Pat

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, not Welsumer-dark
tongue.png
Perhaps terra-cotta has some special meaning in egg-color-describing circles that I'm not aware of? I just mean, literally, like the color of a clay terra-cotta flowerpot, you know? And that's just one of the sussexes, the others are lighter (one of them, so light I need GOOD lighting to tell it apart from my campine's white eggs)

Pat

I love the personality of my Sussex... but I can't say she is a great layer. She laid a few at the end of last summer and hasn't laid one since....hopefully she will start laying again soon. She is about 9 months old and has maybe given me a dozen eggs so far.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom