SpeckledHen, gotta ask about your Ameraucana/BR EE you created

WalkingOnSunshine

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Ohio
You posted in my thread about my Ameraucana roo that you had created an EE from an Ameraucana and BR.

This is actually the reason I bought the Ameraucanas. I also have some 1 year old BR hens, and some 4 week old BR pullets and roos in the brooder, along with some Leghorns, Andalusians (blue eggs!) Marans (olive eggs!) and assorted brown layers (yay, eggs!).

Did you breed Ameraucana rooster to BR hen, or the other way around? Did you get sex linked EEs?

My overall goal is to get good layers of large-sized blue and green eggs, since my customers really want large eggs and my MMM EEs lay medium eggs. People tolerate it because they want the blues and greens in the cartons and the majority of the carton is large eggs. (We sell cartons with as many colors as possible, but always at least 2 blue and/or green eggs in each. People seem to love it.)

I'm intensely curious to see if my little scheme to close my flock will pay off, and your post gave me great hope!

Erika

I know Cyn will chime in soon. I can tell you that the hen original pair was a Black Ameraucana hen and a BR roo. Now she has a Barred EE hen with the BR roo.

Last edited:
Yes, my black Ameraucana and her mother, my older blue Ameraucana, were the first ones to produce the Barred EEs with my BR rooster. It's really not a creation, actually; I just crossed the barred male over the Ameraucana female. It produces a green egglayer. The kids are black or blue, all with barring. They are not sexlinked because the BR rooster passes barring to all the chicks.

Very neat. I'm glad you shared, even in passing. I feel better knowing that my experiment may be heading in the right direction.

Also, thanks for all the great advice you give folks on this board. I've noticed your helpful and thoughtful answers.

Good night!
Erika

You are very welcome, Erika!
smile.png

I've crossed a Blue Ameraucana roo X BR hens. It gave sexlinked chicks...5 females solid and 1 male barred. They are just geetting to laying age (currently 21 weeks). I fully expect to get green eggs.

you never know the egg color, my light brama roo had babies with my white EE and all the babies look rather alike (fatherish) but lay diffrent colored eggs. They are all nice size! Keep us posted on your project

Kim is right, that if you use the BR hen and Ameraucana rooster, the babies are sexlinked. I just don't have an Ameraucana rooster any longer. I have had beautiful results in the past, though. My friend's EE rooster over her BR hens gave me Iris and Hazel (no males from that mating), lovely girls with lots of spangling. rooster-red owns them now. One laid a pinkish egg with lavender-looking speckles and one laid a yellowy-beige egg.

That's wild. I expected green eggs from an Ameraucana roo and BR hen mating.

Ah well. I think EEs are a bit like Christmas (you don't know what the birds will look like, you don't know what color of egg you'll get, but you bet you'll like them!).

Do Iris and Hazel have rose combs?

Back
Top Bottom