Speckledhen...you sent me bad eggs! update page 5

Cetawin I thought it was BAAAAAAAD!

Instead you got BAD sumo Delaware chicken wrestlers!
lol.png

Pffffft many more demands from them and I am gonna trade them for their daddys!

Okay I am armed (with a hammer and electric staple gun), equipped 1 - 1 x 6 x 8, 1 sheet of plywood, hardwire cloth, hinges and a plan in my mind.... I am off to the garage to create my nursery. muahahahahahaha

Mad scientist/engineer at work be afraid...be verrrrrry afraid.

The nursery is almost complete...darkness got me before I could finish painting. But, I am extremely forturnate that either a: I have long legs and a short body and/or b: that I am flexible! Try putting together corners with no c clamps or extra hands.
lol.png

But the nursery is baby blue 18"d x 28" l x 14" h, they have a viewing hardwire window so they can watch TV and see all the happeneing. However, there is a 1 x 6 across the front so they may not be able to see out just yet. The top is hinged 3/4 distance and covered in hardwire cloth too.

7630_new_brooder.jpg

The hinged lid for housekeeping to enter

7630_hingedlid.jpg

Their view they demanded

7630_frontwithview.jpg

I will put up pics of it tomorrow with all the painting done and the occupants in place.

EDIT: I could not stand the front unpainted so I went out and did it with the porch light. I will touch up and edge it tomorrow...

7630_frontpainted.jpg

Last edited:
I thought about making it bigger and longer, with legs. I have a 4 x 4 here to put it on legs if I wanted to. But I wanted to be able to move it around by myself and store it on the shelf in the duckie house when not in use. I think it will be fabulous. when all together. My plan is to put a puppy pad on the botton, pine shavings on top a couple inches thick and if I think they maybe getting chilled, I can put a towel over their viewing window just to make sure.

One thing I have noticed...these kiddos are not crazy about the heat. I had to lower the temperature in the brooder down to about 88 - 90 degrees. If I have it higher, they run to the edges of the brooder away from the heat lamp and pant a little. Right now they are running all over place and having a good time. So, I will give them what they want. Brats!

PS: The materials cost me about $25 (with the 4 x 4) and I have a good sized piece of OSB left over to make shelves for the feeders and waters if I wanted to. I have enough that I can also make a pop door for the little coop when I get it together. I have a good piece of 1 x 6 left also. So, I actually used about $17 bucks on the material. The paint was leftover from the main coop.
smile.png
You could easily make a larger and longer one on sturdy 4 x 4 legs for about $25 No problem.

Last edited:
You probably dont need one larger, but I'd love a big brooder for occasions where I want to incubate chicks to sell locally. Then, I'm not limited to less than my Hova turner holds and I can keep them inside longer.

Back
Top Bottom