Speckledhen's Ten Commandments of Good Flock Management

Quote:
I believe the OP suggested culling at the first sign of respiratory disease. In your case, it was worms not "cold symptoms".
smile.png

I'd never cull for worms and never suggested anyone do that. Worms are not a disease, but a parasite. Cocci is a protozoan. I'd cull for neither of those. We are only talking respiratory stuff. Where on earth did anyone get the idea I said to kill a bird who has lice or worms. I knew I'd be misquoted/misunderstood on this thread.
hmm.png

But what if the person looking for information through google did not know that? What if they simply saw your post and were like "BAM. Now I gotta cull."

Last edited:
Be serious. Gape worm is not as common as people are led to believe.

Please do not turn this informative thread into a arguement where you have to make a point that in no way is reflective of the subject matter.

Quote:
I would hope that they would understand that they need to confirm what illness is present before taking any action to either treat or cull a bird.

Ok, I'll say this again. NO one has to cull their birds if they'd rather treat and treat and treat. These rules are what I do, me, myself. I repeat, these are the rules I follow to keep my own flock healthy. Did anyone read #10? It's your responsibility to do the research. I've done mine. This is the way I manage my own flock and it has served me well from the start. I dont want a bunch of birds with weak immune systems. I dont want to always be treating some disease that, by nature, will never go away. So, if someone else does, that's their decision....till and unless it impacts someone else's flock.

Quote:
Why don't you know? I never try to make a point...just give a friendly suggestion!

I'm not attempting to start an argument? Why would I? I think it is very informative and very well written out! We all have our own methods as to how we raise and protect our flock. Some lean towards total eradication while others choose to treat. I see no "wrong" way to look at it.

Back
Top Bottom