Specs on Mounting Chicken Nipples?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 3KillerBs, Aug 10, 2013.

1. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    The chicken nipples are here. Now I need to know,

A. How high above the ground should the nipples be mounted? My chickens are currently just over 8 weeks old but I'd rather set a block under it for them to stand on for a while than to try to take apart and remount the PVC pipe system as they grow. The breeds are Light and Dark Brahma, Delaware, Australorp, an unexpextedly bantam Langshan (whom I suppose will need a block all her life).

B. How far apart in the pipe should the nipples be placed? I have 5 nipples and plan on using three of them in this system. I know that's one too many for the eventual 4-6 birds or even the current 12, but we overbuild everything. [​IMG]

2. sparrker

sparrker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    I just put my waterer together last week for my Large fowl I put them 6-7 inches apart and it's 21 inches off the ground. These are full grown LF chickens. I ended up searching for my distances of height on BYC, so you might want to try if you don't get anywhere. I need to research for my new chicks that I will be getting next week. I want to start them young on the water nipples, to keep everything drier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by