Speed = (Distance/Time) * Flapping Velocity?

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Has to be the chicken math/miscalculation
lau.gif

Kasey

Most of our 13 hens will run this same way. They usually do it when they are trying to get some where really fast! Nutty or normal? How about both! So far ours have yet to run into anything other than each other.
big_smile.png

Because I am a massive nerd I will attempt to correct your equation. The variable of "Flapping Velocity" is redundant because "Distance/Time" is the definition of Speed so you are basically saying "Speed * Flapping Velocity = Speed". I believe the equation you were shooting for is "Speed = Leg Velocity + Flapping Velocity". Although one could make the argument that Leg Velocity is all that matters and the wings merely impart forward momentum in which case it would actually be "Speed = Forward Impulse of Legs + Forward Impulse of Wings - Ground Friction and Air Resistance".
And my birds do it too.
wink.png

Quote:
I <3 you. Not just because you made a great correction to the equation, but also because you clearly are a Final Fantasy fan
lol.png

Quote:
I <3 you. Not just because you made a great correction to the equation, but also because you clearly are a Final Fantasy fan
lol.png

Imagine my surprise when the name wasn't taken. Plus my Buff Orpingtons look JUST like miniature chocobos.
lol.png

Define flapping velocity. Without using flight. Otherwise consider Velocity = Running Velocity * Flapping.

This is silly. Maybe gates like walking versus running, versus flap-running versus powered horizontal flight. Still silly. Chickens do not obey laws of physics anyway.

It happens!
lau.gif
Mine do that too, I love watching them. So funny. And when it comes time to stop... the wings act as brakes too.
tongue.png

Chocobo:
thumbsup.gif
gig.gif

The best true flights I've seen are from stand still. (My Araucanas - SUPER fliers)

The running and flapping at the same time, I think it's just a good feeling as well as a good excuse to exercise the wings.
smile.png

Last edited:
I love it when mine do this, and some of them do achieve some pretty impressive air time. When I was describing it to someone else I used the analogy of me on ice skates - feet and arms flailing, a lot of squawking, a short trip through the air and a very clumsy landing.

I frightened my chickens with a frisbee tonight by accident and many of them achieved great height for a good distance! 5 feet high probably for about 8-10 feet! I love the neck outstretched running!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom