Speed vs Quality

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by speckled_egg, Feb 5, 2009.

1. speckled_egg

speckled_egg Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    My chickens have free run of the yard and I'm hoping to contain them to only one section. They already have a coop, but if I'm going to confine them I want to give them more space. Unfortunately there is an old shed in the way that I need to replace (in a new location) before I can demolish it. This is a long-range project that could take a number of months, and the family dogs are starting to take an unhealthy interest in my hens. What I'm wondering is, should I build a quick and temporary but potentially flimsy fence now and rebuild it later, or would it be worth the risk to wait for the final draft?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Go ahead and do the flimsy one, you might end up spending more money but it wouldn't be as much as if you lose your whole flock to your dogs.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    could you chain your dogs up for some time?

4. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    of course, if it is TOO flimsy, your dogs (or other dogs) may get your chickens anyway!!

5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Could you buy one of the 8x8 dog kennels for $199 and buy a tarp to cover it for temp. use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by