1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spell check?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PotterWatch, Feb 6, 2011.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    After spending some looking at craigslist and ebay for things like hatching eggs, dog kennels, and chicken coops; I have come to the conclusion that people are incredibly lazy. How difficult is it to spell-check your ad? If I am buying eggs from someone and they can't even spell the name of the breed correctly, I don't have much faith that the birds will be of the quality I am looking for. On craigslist, I will still consider buying something from a person who doesn't even bother to correct their spelling; but on ebay, I figure that the laziness they show in typing their ad might also apply to how carefully they package an item and how timely they are at shipping. Is spell-check that difficult to use?

*I'm not talking about posts on message boards or casual online conversations, but ads people place where they are hoping to sell a product. To me, it seems that if you want to sell something, you should be as professional as possible and that means making sure your ad has correct spelling!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I actually don't understand it because naturally any misspelled words of mine are already underlined in red when I'm typing. . . [​IMG]

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Sometimes misspellings might be a good thing, ive won auctions on ebay and saved up to 80% off of expensive tools because of people misspelling item descriptions and me being the only bidder. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  4. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I agree. I use Google Chrome for that exact reason.

Also, if I am looking for something brand specific on eBay with a hard to spell name, I spell it as many ways as I can think of to find what other people miss.

5. PaulaSB12

PaulaSB12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Proof reading is a lost art. When I got my promotion at work my letter said the job started 12th September 200!!!!!!!!!!! I told the plant manager and he said I should go for the back pay.

[​IMG]

6. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Maybe the person is computer illiterate like me. Not a lazy bone in my body. Just don't know how to use it. [​IMG]

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    But if you are trying to make money, don't you think it makes sense to learn how to use it?

8. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Not that big a sin, to me. I guess I would if I were to use the computer for a job. But I just overlook or quietly laugh at mistakes. Mine or others. But I would NEVER make another person feel bad about it, because we don't know their circumstances. Not saying you did, just saying.....

9. Winggedheart

Winggedheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Ringgold
    Quote:That's a spell-check warning you about your writing.
    I use Firefox, and if it doesn't come with spell-check, then you can download it from Mozilla for free, along with ad-block, which is nice, btw.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:How do you use it then?
    When i use microsoft word and am typing a document/letter..its comes on automatically... that i understand.
    But..if i'm not in microsoft office..i dont have spell check...
    Soo.. how do i spell check my posts or other things ..like postings on ebay?
    I'm sure theres a way.. i just havent figured it out yet.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by