Spent Grain

Layena is 3.25-4.25% in the guaranteed analysis. The Dumor stuff that Tractor Supply sells is 3.8-4.8. Dumor is the highest I've seen other than the feed you posted. I'd be a bit concerned that their minimum is about where other brands are maxing out.

I agree, that is way too much Ca+. I am already suspicious of this company because how can the vit/mineral supplement be the first ingredient on their list??? I am new to keeping chickens, but I am sure the ingredient list should list ingredients from most numerous to least amount.

Even so, that much Ca is way too much. It's already complicating the rough start I am having for my chickens!
hmm.png

I was planning on adding spent grains and scratch to my chickens diet. 80% of this stuff still would be too much ca. I will probably buy that other bag from azure that many other people do and use this high Ca stuff up slowly....

My chickens aren't even laying yet.... but for a laying bird:

the average Ca in this feed is 4.75%

If adding 20% scratch and spent grains then ...

4.75 x 0.8 = 3.8 which still exceeds the upper limit of what a laying hen should be consuming... by 0.3%

Plus I already give them tons of leafy greens so this doesn't include the Ca they are getting from other sources.

As I said....I think the best thing to do is buy the popular scratch and feed grain as their primary food... 10% spent grain and use this stuff up slowly over time. And don't offer them oyster shells anymore? Or still do because they won't eat it if they don't need it?

[COLOR=800000]Is that an appropriate amount of Calcium for 6-8 month old pullets? or too much?  ahh![/COLOR]

Growing birds and non-laying birds should have about 1.2% calcium, a layer should have about 2.5% - 3.5%... The 4.5% - 5% in this feed is way to high for non-layers...

I'm against forced calcium feeding, IMO it's really best to provide the calcium on the side and let the bird self regulate as they are well aware of their calcium needs...

We also feed calcium on the side because of our mixed flock. And someone is always either broody, molting or for some other reason not laying. It's soooo much easier to buy one feed everyone can eat and have extra calcium on the side for those who are laying. Even the roosters will eat some occasionally, as they do need some calcium, but not much.

[COLOR=8B4513]My chickens aren't even laying yet.... but for a laying bird:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=8B4513]the average Ca in this feed is 4.75%[/COLOR]

[COLOR=8B4513]If adding 20% scratch and spent grains then ...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=8B4513]4.75 x 0.8 = 3.8  which still exceeds the upper limit of what a laying hen should be consuming... by 0.3%[/COLOR]

[COLOR=8B4513]Plus I already give them tons of leafy greens so this doesn't include the Ca they are getting from other sources. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=8B4513]As I said....I think the best thing to do is buy the popular scratch and feed grain as their primary food... 10% spent grain and use this stuff up slowly over time. And don't offer them oyster shells anymore?  Or still do because they won't eat it if they don't need it?[/COLOR]

With layer feed, you can keep the oyster shell on the side, but they probably won't eat much of it. Something to keep in mind is at some point some of your flock will stop laying for a while. It could be due to a molt, changing of daylight length or some stress. They don't need extra calcium during that period. If its only a few days or maybe even a couple weeks, no harm done, but molts can last 2-3 months and any bird not laying for that long shouldn't get layer feed. Too much calcium to non-laying adult birds can cause kidney problems or gout, in chicks and young birds it can cause deformities or even death. If you have a separate coop for them, you could feed them a different food. But separating birds from the flock can be stressful when they return. I find it way easier to never feed layer feed and only a grower feed, with oyster shell on the side. It's basically the same thing minus calcium plus some extra protein. Everybody's happy and no one is getting a calcium overdose.

Last edited:
After hearing this lovely advice repeated it finally sunk in all the way! It totally makes sense. Will definitely do that from now on!

Also, I went on Azure to order the feed which was a better price than this company feed. However, the shipping came out to
be $23! Does anyone know where to get the scratch and peck feed for a decent price without paying $20+ on shipping?

Thank you!

I live in a big city and when I ask about chicken feed in pet stores people look at me like I'm crazy and offer me rabbit food instead!

Buying in bulk was what I did in the past but just wanted to know if any online sources would an option. :)

[COLOR=800000]I live in a big city and when I ask about chicken feed in pet stores people look at me like I'm crazy and offer me rabbit food instead![/COLOR]

I said feed store not pet store, yeah pretty much every pet store is going to give you that crazy eye, not so with a feed store...

Post your location, someone is bound to be able to point you in the right direction...

Back
Top Bottom