Spicy Pickled Eggs

HennyPennies2007

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 26, 2008
There used to be this biker bar where I lived in CA. called Joe Jost's and they had the best spicy pickled eggs. Can someone share a recipe for spicy pickled eggs (without beets)...from start to finish...? Thanks
big_smile.png

Do a search for Lilralphieroosmama, she has a recipe for spicy quail eggs, I would think it's the same for any egg. She did give me the recipe, in a pm....I accidently deleted it
he.gif

oh, oh, oh, I got this one!!!
I HATE pickled eggs done with beet juice! yuk. When I make "bar-style" pickled eggs, I will hard boil them and then put them in a jar of hot pepper juice (I can my own hot peppers and when we are done with the peppers, we keep the juice and use that). You have to let them sit in the juice, in the fridge, for a couple of weeks. That's the easy way, and just keep a few of the hot peppers in the jar for added heat.
Or, if you want to make them...
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp coarse salt
1 tblsp peppercorns
1 Tblsp pickling spice
1 tsp ground mustard
1 onion, thinly sliced
Boil 12 eggs to hard. Peel. Bring all other ingredients to a boil (except onions). Add eggs to jar, then pour the hot liquid over the eggs and add the sliced onions. Refrigerate and wait. mmm.
This concoction also makes some GREAT pickled bologna, too.

Quote:
You must be talking about Joe Jost's in Long Beach. Great place, but it isn't a biker bar. Just a local Long Beach institution. Joe's claims to have sold 6,000,000 of the eggs since 1934.

My husband loves to cook and this was the first thing he said he was making when we started getting eggs.
Awhile back this was a version published in the local paper.

Joe Jost's Picked Eggs Recipe
List of Ingredients

* 8 eggs, hard-cooked, peeled & still warm
* 1 jar (12 oz.) yellow chile peppers
* 2 Tbsp pickling spice
* 1 c wine vinegar
* 1-1/2 scant cups water
* 1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp salt

Instructions:
Mix all ingredients in glass container, adding eggs last while they are still warm. Don't refrigerate. Keep in sealed jar for 2 days. The marinade may be used again several times. Use within 2 weeks. Yield 8 servings.*

Ahead of time, I make sure to hide a carton of eggs in the back of the fridge to age for a week or two so they are easy to peel after cooking. Do not use a container with a metal lid. The acidity will corrode the lid and ruin the eggs before the end of the 2 weeks. After two weeks the eggs get rubbery.

Alternate Recipe for Joe Jost's Yellow Pickled Eggs:

I have also heard the above recipe is what Joe Jost's has shared, but in reality it isn't that complicated. They don't actually use all the pickling spices, etc. They use MEZETTA brand peppers and the brine the peppers are in already has the spices you need to pickle the eggs. Unfortunately, a small jar of the mezetta peppers you buy in the grocery store doesn't have enough brine for a small homemade sized batch.

* Joe Jost's serves their yellow picked eggs over a bed of pretzels with a few of the chile peppers to garnish, add a couple of dashes of pepper on top of it all, and they used to serve with an ice cold Pabst Blue Ribbon on tap. But just this last year they switched to Busch Beer; it was a big local controversy. My husband serves them with PBR.

Last edited:
Old post but I was going to start up one asking where peoples favorite places are for great pickled eggs. Joe Jost's in Long Beach has some great eggs. You guys must have been there on a Sunday at the end of the month to think it was a biker bar. After the motorcycle swap meet is over a bunch of us used to ride down to Jost's for the eggs and some beer.

I wouldn't call them spicy though. At least not hot spicy. I've tried their recipe and added scotch bonnets to it, but have as of yet not been able to get a satisfyingly hot pickled egg.

Back
Top Bottom