Spike in mortality

Peter Augustine

Hatching
Jun 19, 2022
I recently changed my broiler feeds from mash to pellets at day 19. I immediately started to get a spike in mortality after 10 hours. In 24hours,i have a mortality of over 90 birds. All showing signs of sudden death. How can i cab this and stop this mortality?

That's a significant number of deaths immediately following the change in feed. I would be inclined to think the feed bears looking at for mold or other contamination.

You might want to tell us what, if any, symptoms you've observed prior to death and among the remaining birds. Are any puffed up and acting lethargic and any have diarrhea?

You might want to tell us your location as it can hold clues.

Are these birds all on soil?

That's a significant number of deaths immediately following the change in feed. I would be inclined to think the feed bears looking at for mold or other contamination.

You might want to tell us what, if any, symptoms you've observed prior to death and among the remaining birds. Are any puffed up and acting lethargic and any have diarrhea?

You might want to tell us your location as it can hold clues.

Are these birds all on soil?
There were no symptoms or signs that i know of prior to this occurance. The remaining birds are fair. The activity is moderate as i still find some birds laying on their barks or belly wuth their legs stretched out and sometimes gasping for air.

The birds are on coffee husks and have no diarrhea.
My farm is located in uganda.

There were no symptoms or signs that i know of prior to this occurance. The remaining birds are fair. The activity is moderate as i still find some birds laying on their barks or belly wuth their legs stretched out and sometimes gasping for air.

The birds are on coffee husks and have no diarrhea.
My farm is located in uganda.
Is avian flu confirmed in your area?

Well, Uganda isn't currently experiencing a wave of AI like parts of Europe and the US. I'd suspect the feed. Since you didn't mention spontaneous gasping by a bunch of your birds, probably not aspergillosis. I'm guessing the feed was mis mixed - something included in far higher content than should be.

Back
Top Bottom