Spilled food in deep litter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mrkep, Oct 11, 2010.

1. mrkep

mrkep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Richwood , Ohio
    I am using the DLM, and under the feeder is almost solid food, 6" deep. I scooped a bunch of it out today and threw it into the run for them to clean up, then I filled the hole with fresh shavings. So is this a common thing? I know the little darlings are not the neatest eaters [​IMG] they seem to scratch as much as they eat. I am not too concerned about wasted food as much as drawing varmits to a food source.

2. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    I just leave it. It gives them something to dig though.

3. lorrir

lorrir Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Upstate SC
    I have two feeders in the coop. I also use the DLM. My feeders are on cider blocks and I only use pellets. Keeping the feeders on the cinder blocks gets them a couple of inches above the litter. I haven't had any problems with losing too much feed. I have used crumble in the past and have lost more than I cared for. So cinder blocks and pellets work the best for me.

4. xxSonja

xxSonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    I also have this problem, even with my feeders up on wood blocks. They were tipping the feeder off and feed was going all over the place, so i nailed the darn thing to the heavy block! Lol but now they just flick it out everywhere anyway [​IMG]
    we do tend to get alot of mice around the coops, but my 2 cats do their part in keeping numbers down. Plus Ive found that the chickens and ducks being in the coop are a big deterrent anyway.
    I just try to keep the place as clean and tidy as possible.
    Also If im not using a coop i empty it complety, litter and all.

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    It helps to let the feeder go empty for a period each day to encourage them to clean up what they've spilled. Perhaps feed them in the evening enough to last through the next early afternoon and let the feeder go empty until you fill it again.

6. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I actually throw scratch in the coop sometimes so that they will dig everything up and around. But i don't keep my deep litter quite that deep anymore.

7. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have an ABS feeder with 2" holes and found adjusting the angle of the hole helped reduce spillage. I see the girls pick through the litter (10" now) daily for spilled feed (and who knows what else) so I'm not concerned about it. It gives them something to do while they come up with todays set of chicken profanities to greet me when I come home from work.

8. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Do not do DLM but do use a hanging feeder which really helps with scratching and billing feed out.

9. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Quote:That makes me feel a lot better! I thought I was a bad parent for being a few hours late with the food. Mine actually don't spill a great deal, but I do scatter BOSS and cracked corn in the shavings in order to get them to scratch it up. Seems to do very well.

10. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I took one of those plastic ice cream containers and cut out a hole in the lid and set it in a pan and they hardly ever spill anything now!! Someone had posted a feeder they made like this for turkeys that helped with waste and I jsut took the idea and made it smaller. Love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by