Spin off: What's the LEAST you've spent on a chicken? :)

How about a trade....does that count? I traded a Red Sexlink cockerel for a Red Sexlink pullet about 2 months ago. 'Even Steven'....straight up trade....$0

The pullet is laying now, she is a month younger than the rest of the flock she's with. I call her Little Bit. LOL

edit....typo

Last edited:
BTW, why doesnt $0, count? Who made these rules?
barnie.gif

I expect free doesn't count becasue too many people would qualify
lol.png

Seems like feedstore chicks were ~$1.85, but I haven't bought one in years (I do know the price is still the same). First time I bought chicks (for Easter)I remember thinking "these are the least expensive pets I've ever bought" and that thought included feeder, waterer and feed.

I guess the least expensive may have been the chicken that came with the house. Or maybe she was the most expensive: $xxx,xxx (and the house came with her
wink.png
)

Generally I expect to pay $25-$100 for breeder or better quality birds, but I often trade with friends who are also breeders. I traded a pair of splash silkies for a pair of chocolate polish last year, and I just traded a partridge silkie pullet for a lavender blue silkie cockerel.

Quote:
frow.gif
My thread, my rules.
tongue2.gif
lau.gif
Free is a constant and I was curious as to the varying low costs of some of our birds. Someone should start a "Can you believe I got this bird free?!?!?!?!" thread. It would be interesting, as well.

Cheapest chick, 2$.
Rooster - 9$.

4 started ee's and five delaware cockerals and a barred rock pullet for 23. I'd break it down into what I paid for what but I'm unsure so there's the wad. Some were free, some weren't - 2.30 cents a bird. <grin> The eggs that came with for free are now 3 more ee chicks.
smile.png

Quote:
You wouldn't expect that from the Tamest of breeds but it happens a lot to Modern Game cock birds after they have started mateing. I like putting them in shows now and then to mess with certain judges.

By the way I have no problem with using them in a breeding pen

Bob

I stopped in the Mercantile in Brighton, Co this morning. I wasn't looking to buy chickens, but took a peek, and saw 7 four week old chicks on clearance for $1 each. Four are st. run Seabrights, and three are Delaware pullets!
wee.gif
I rushed them home, and built a new brooder, as I have 25 week old chicks our brooder now.

Back
Top Bottom