Spinach alternatives?

You have to grow it as a cold weather crop. It's so easy once you have the right temp.
I’ve tried for several years and I can’t get it to germinate. I’m tried starting it in both spring and fall my cabbage, lettuce and peas do great but no luck with the spinach. I think my biggest problem is cutworms.

I tried that last year. Not a single seed sprouted. :hmm

I rarely get good spinach here either. My stepdad told me spinach grows where it wants to. I think he was right.

I'm going to have to buy some chard at the store to see if I want to grow it. I like kale for smoothies and a friend says kale-potato soup is fantastic.

My favorite "other spinach" is lambsquarter. Love that "weed."
I wish I could eat lambs quarters. They are a weed here. I’m allergic though.

I’ve tried for several years and I can’t get it to germinate. I’m tried starting it in both spring and fall my cabbage, lettuce and peas do great but no luck with the spinach. I think my biggest problem is cutworms.

I wish I could eat lambs quarters. They are a weed here. I’m allergic though.
Try Noble Giant. I throw it in my garden. Literally throw the seeds, do nothing except water it occassionally.

There are many Asian greens that are great spinach like crops I grow a lot of different kinds of greens. Mustard crosses are great spinach substitutes and are very good , tatsoi is very much like spinach and easy to grow . I get all my greens seeds from Kitazawa seed company in oakland. The seeds have the best germinatin rate of any company I’ve used. If you go to their website and sign up for their catalog then you can mail order seeds. You won’t be dissapointed. They have varieties not found anywhere else and tons to choose from. Good luck! Happy gardening!

Last edited:
There are many Asian greens that are great spinach like crops I grow a lot of different kinds of greens. Mustard crosses are great spinach substitutes and are very good , tatsoi is very much like spinach and easy to grow . I get all my greens seeds from Kitazawa seed company in oakland. The seeds have the best germinatin rate of any company I’ve used. If you go to their website and sign up for their catalog then you can mail order seeds. You won’t be dissapointed. They have varieties not found anywhere else and tons to choose from. Good luck! Happy gardening!

I tried tatsoi last fall/winter (planted too late, so didn't get a lot) - very good and rather succulent, not a really distinct flavor, just "green."

I see this thread was a year ago, but maybe I can revive it because I have a question about spinach. I have a LOT of Brazilian spinach (Alternanthera sissoo) or Samba lettuce. I love it, it is easy to grow, and flourishes where I live. My chickens and ducks love it, too. I have read it is not good to give spinach to ducks. Is that true, and is Brazilian spinach a real spinach?

Back
Top Bottom