Spinach and Oxalic Acid

My birds really enjoy spinach so I've always given them a bit when I have it, but I've always felt a little guilty in admitting that. I figured if they only got it on occasion and in moderation, it couldn't be worse than some of the other stuff I've seen people feeding chickens. Good to know that it's not something that I need to worry too much about.

I'm likely the source of the oats thing. It's one of those complicated subjects where too much of a great thing becomes bad and it's hard to define what too much is, because there are other variables and factors. Read up on beta-glucans and you'll see the complexity.
I just searched for posts on BYC where you have mentioned oats and this seems like an interesting subject, and I'd like to know more. Maybe we can start a new thread about oats!:cool:

More info:
Oxalate: effect on calcium absorbability.
Heaney RP1, Weaver CM.
Author information
Creighton University, Omaha, NE 68178.
Abstract
Absorption of calcium from intrinsically labeled Ca oxalate was measured in 18 normal women and compared with absorption of Ca from milk in these same subjects, both when the test substances were ingested in separate meals and when ingested together. Fractional Ca absorption from oxalate averaged 0.100 +/- 0.043 when ingested alone and 0.140 +/- 0.063 when ingested together with milk. Absorption was, as expected, substantially lower than absorption from milk (0.358 +/- 0.113). Nevertheless Ca oxalate absorbability in these women was higher than we had previously found for spinach Ca. When milk and Ca oxalate were ingested together, there was no interference of oxalate in milk Ca absorption and no evidence of tracer exchange between the two labeled Ca species.
Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2801588

I'm likely the source of the oats thing. It's one of those complicated subjects where too much of a great thing becomes bad and it's hard to define what too much is, because there are other variables and factors. Read up on beta-glucans and you'll see the complexity.
I just want to make it clear that I was not referring to anyone on this site regarding the terribly misleading article.;)

oxalis, in a pretty purple-leaved variety, grows like a weed in my lawn and on my terrace, and is constantly grazed by the flock, which loves it (and keeps it in check, without overgrazing). Thanks for this thread @casportpony - now I don't need to worry about it! (I am assuming this plant contains oxalic acid and may even be where it was first identified.)

Back
Top Bottom