Spinach gnocchi baked

flowerchild59

Songster
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Southern IL
I tweaked this recipe from Extra Virgin TV show. I actually made my own homemade ricotta today so wanted to use it up. I curdled the milk with lemon juice so my gnocchi sorta had a lemony twang and they were wonderful. We had these with simple grilled pork chops and were a nice side.

Ingredients
2 pounds fresh spinach (about 3 bunches) (I used one frozen carton and cut the recipe in half)
1 (16-ounce) container ricotta cheese (I used one cup of homemade ricotta)
6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving ( I used 1/4 cup)
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten (I used three whole bantie eggs)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the dish (I used two)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
One glove garlic finely minced or a small sprinkle of garlic powder.

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Bring a large pot salted water to a boil if using fresh spinach.

IF using fresh spinach:

Cut the stems off the spinach, and soak the leaves in the sink. Wash them thoroughly.

Add the spinach to the boiling water and cook 1 minute. Remove spinach from the water and plunge in a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking.

Drain the spinach very well, and using a clean tea towel, squeeze out the extra water. Chop the leaves very fine.

IF using a carton of chopped frozed spinach, thaw and squeeze dry. Chop coarsely.

Put the spinach in a large bowl, add the ricotta, 3 tablespoons Parmesan, eggs, and season with a couple pinches salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Mix well, and make sure that the ricotta crumbles into fine pieces, and mixes properly with the spinach. Shape the mixture into balls about the size of walnuts.

Lightly butter a 13 by 9-inch casserole dish, lay all the gnocchi in it, and top each gnocchi with thin slices butter and a sprinkling of Parmesan. Cook the gnocchi at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes. I like them a touch of golden on top.

Last edited:
muummmmmmm, sounds great.
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom