Spiral (clan) Linebreeding

ChickenLeg

Crowing
12 Years
Feb 15, 2012
So spiral breeding is a pretty simple technique to keep a wide diversity in a flock with a slower progression of desired traits than from other linebreeding programs. A single pair linebreeding program is a great way to keep a line going for 4 generations off a single pair before adding new blood, you can see quicker results of the desired traits you want but since the inbreeding is closer than a spiral program you'll want to add new blood much sooner. Now we could talk about different linebreeding programs forever.. as long as you keep good records and have the space you could also practically keep a well documented linebreeding program going for as long as a spiral program..

To the point of my post.. I came across this method from the Iowa Blue chicken club website, its different than your typical spiral program, its like a hybrid of the spiral method while incorporating a secondary form of linebreeding. This is how I understand its explanation..

Instead of moving the males every year you move them every other year. The year you dont move males, you keep the father, or his best son, in the same pen and linebreed for one year. Then move males the next year. Repeat process.

So you choose to use the same rooster or pick a better son if one is available. The females get 2 consecutive years of breeding and the males get either 1 or 2 years of consectutive breeding(if the first year son is better than father then father gets removed after 1 year). After the 2nd consecutive year of breeding the bird is removed from the spiral program reguardless of gender.

So during the one year of linebreeding.. you will either be using the rooster over the same hens for a 2nd year as well as his pullet daughters, or you will be using a new cockerel over his mother/aunt hens and over his pullet sisters.

What are yalls take on this set up? Has anyone tried this set up? Im trying to figure out why someone would choose it over the the tradition spiral program? Would it progress your desired traits a tad bit quicker than the traditional spiral method at the slight expense of closer inbreeding every other generation? Also did the website purposefully write out the program this way or were they just misunderstood on how the spiral program works? I havent read of a spiral program that linebreeds every other year besides on the site listed below. Its a very cool concept though, and itd be neat to run the numbers and figure out the advantages.. maybe for someone else to tackle seems like a headache at the moment haha..

I feel like if I was to hypothetically execute this method I would always use the same rooster for 2 years in the same pen so his first year breeding he is in a new pen then the second year he is crossed over the same hens again as well as his daughters. After the 2nd year he is disposed and his best son is moved to the next pen. This will avoid ever having to breed brothers to sisters.

https://www.iowabluechickenclub.com/line-breeding-via-spiral-breeding-program.html

Attachments

• Clan-Mating-System-Illustration-Large.jpg
    Clan-Mating-System-Illustration-Large.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 102
  • ppp6-1.jpg
    ppp6-1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom