Spitzhaubens

Pics
I moved Stucki to the Sulmtaler brooder. So far everyone is getting along great. Meanwhile I let the older Sulmtaler and Appenzellers out to play. It has been a good chickie day :) big-ghicks-61817.JPG stucki261717.JPG stuckiandfriends61817.JPG webble-markie-61717.JPG stucki61817.JPG stucki361817.JPG

img_1642-jpg.1047168

The chick on left is actually Cookie's biological chick (with a young lav orp or maybe even my Spitzhauben as father) Cookie's a bantam, so her eggs have never been fertile before..... My adult orp roos are just too big for her. I noticed last month that her eggs all of a sudden looked fertile, so I set one & it hatched!

Does anyone see Spitz traits in the left chick?
IMG_1641.JPG

I guess it has a 30% chance of being Spitzhauben-Orpington, but at closer look, I'm not really seeing any Spitz features. Its head shape just looked a little different. One of the orp cockerels must be the daddy..... unless someone sees something I'm missing.
IMG_1899.JPG
IMG_1905.JPG
IMG_1906.JPG

Yes. :lol:

The chick is a cutie. Mama hen is named "Cookie," so I'm already calling that little one "Chip." The choc cuckoo orp is simply "Chocolate." Chocolate, Chip, & Cookie must share the nest with the male black cuckoo orp. He has no name. Any ideas?

Stucki, just hatched. Spitzen-Egger.View attachment 1045642

I can't recall - is mom or dad the Spitz? And what color is the EE parent?

I just candled my Spitz-eggers yesterday and 3 out of 5 show development. Then I accidentally dented one (I dropped a guinea egg on it) but luckily it was one of the ones not showing development. Opened it up and it looked like the yolk was damaged somehow and I was relieved that that was the one that I cracked! I have them in the incubator and both incubators' turners have messed up on me at the same time so I hope I don't have any problems from not being able to turn them enough. My EE just went broody a few days ago so it looks like she will actually get to raise some of her own babies :) I was going to give them to my Japanese broody but she will have to have a couple guineas instead.

Back
Top Bottom