Spitzhaubens

Pics

Andora

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Does anyone have pictures of theirs to share?

I got two by mistake, I thought they were Hamburgs but then they grew crests. They're the most adorable and sweet-natured chicks I have ever had. I think I'm in love.
love.gif

One is mostly white and one has more black.

As little chicks...

504738061_dhXxh-M.jpg

And yesterday:

512921339_JXBXb-M.jpg

512917009_B7dud-M.jpg

This is not related to Spitzhaubens in any way, but I thought I'd share what our son did for a science project this year. He wanted to use our Spitz, but Poof Poof decided to go broody instead. (After 4 years, I have no idea why this year motherhood finally appealed to her!) I know a Spitz has the ability to do well in this type of project, so you may want to try with your own flock.

DS initially trained a couple different chickens but Styx was the best candidate. The 2 orps were slow to pick up on new things (and kept trying to just eat the food or peck at the clicker). The Leghorn was ok but would freeze up or get distracted easily. Our serama Popcorn was by far the smartest..... but she couldn't peck hard enough to work the keyboard. I know he'd love to get some views and likes. He ended up winning Grand Champion for his piano-playing chicken.

So here's the Amazing Styx

I couldn't get good photos of the girls...

Here is a picture of the beta cock, I think he is 2 years old. Someone keeps pecking his crest... I haven't seen it happen... so maybe at night.. he is my one golden spangled.

Hen on left is way too light Chamois, hen on right is nice.
20220516_115548.jpg

One of the girls
20220516_115440.jpg

Alpha cock. He is several years old, 4? (I lost my records this past fall) He is excellent, except he leans more towards lace than quality spangles. One of the reasons for beta. Beta has too many spangles, but good perfect spangles.
20220516_115116.jpg
20220516_114543.jpg

And, one more hen.
20220516_114259.jpg

There doesn't seem to be an active breed thread going....

So.... Can we start this one back up?

Could everyone who owns these birds

1. Post pictures!

2. Tell us where you got the birds

3. How many eggs per week, color and size (I know white, but creamy, chalky, etc.)

4. Any interesting characteristics that are greatly different from other breeds you have

Yeah to the Spitzhauben!

Can you see what i see? Pretty sickle feathers coming back in! His last pair almost dragged the ground. He has pretty saddle feathers too.

For those that dont know, Jake was attacked by a coyote a few months ago. He lost every single tail feather with some wounds under the wing. He's looking handsome again.:love
20190801_165137.jpg

Back
Top Bottom