Spitzhaubens

I couldn't get good photos of the girls...

Here is a picture of the beta cock, I think he is 2 years old. Someone keeps pecking his crest... I haven't seen it happen... so maybe at night.. he is my one golden spangled.

Hen on left is way too light Chamois, hen on right is nice.
20220516_115548.jpg

One of the girls
20220516_115440.jpg

Alpha cock. He is several years old, 4? (I lost my records this past fall) He is excellent, except he leans more towards lace than quality spangles. One of the reasons for beta. Beta has too many spangles, but good perfect spangles.
20220516_115116.jpg
20220516_114543.jpg

And, one more hen.
20220516_114259.jpg

I couldn't get good photos of the girls...

Here is a picture of the beta cock, I think he is 2 years old. Someone keeps pecking his crest... I haven't seen it happen... so maybe at night.. he is my one golden spangled.

Hen on left is way too light Chamois, hen on right is nice.
View attachment 3112213

One of the girls
View attachment 3112214

Alpha cock. He is several years old, 4? (I lost my records this past fall) He is excellent, except he leans more towards lace than quality spangles. One of the reasons for beta. Beta has too many spangles, but good perfect spangles.
View attachment 3112216View attachment 3112217

And, one more hen.
View attachment 3112218
Gorgeous!

Beautiful!
How do the genetics work? You have a a Gold Spangled roo and a Chamois roo over Chamois hens and that gives you chicks of both colors?
This morning my mind... well, the technical correct terms are not coming to mind... but the general broad brush strokes, with incorrect terms, is as follows:

The gold spangled acts as a recessive. So yes, you can run Golden Spangled and Chamois together in the same flock.

There are inhibitors at play to make the white spots on the Chamois. So, the Chamois has the genetics to have black spangles, but then other genes inhibit the black, and don't let it show up.

Too many inhibitors and the Chamois get super pale. As in the background color gets so light that they start to look like solid color birds... so a creamy white. The white spangles don't show up against a super light cream colored bird. I have a couple in my flock at the moment. You can see them in the group photos.

Breeding a good flock of Chamois, and keeping them the correct shade (not too pale) can definitely be done with Chamois only birds.

However, putting a Golden spangled cock over them will brighten them up quickly and is perfectly acceptable.

This morning my mind... well, the technical correct terms are not coming to mind... but the general broad brush strokes, with incorrect terms, is as follows:

The gold spangled acts as a recessive. So yes, you can run Golden Spangled and Chamois together in the same flock.

There are inhibitors at play to make the white spots on the Chamois. So, the Chamois has the genetics to have black spangles, but then other genes inhibit the black, and don't let it show up.
Chamois have Dominant White (which changes black to white.)
Gold Spangled has black spangles, Chamois has those black spangles changed to white.

Because Dominant White is dominant, some chickens with white spangles can still carry the recessive gene that the spangles to be black, and can pass that on to their chicks.

Here are my spitzes just a couple days shy of 8 weeks. Let me know if you agree with my gender guesses.

#1 (BLUE ) Male - definitely leader of the group, thicker legs, more muscle, just looks like a male
blue1.JPG blue3.JPG blue2.jpg

#2 (YELLOW) Maybe a Male but I'm not as confident about the guess. It's not really red in face.

yellow1.JPG

yellow3.JPG
yellow2.JPG

#3 (PINK) Female - Also DS's favorite and a very spoiled chicken.
pink3.JPG
pink4.JPG
pink2.JPG
pink1.JPG

#4 (GREEN) Female-ish, but like Yellow, I'm not too confident with my guess.

green1.JPG
green2.JPG
green3.JPG

Back
Top Bottom