Spitzhaubens

Pics

Here are some of my newest chicks. Polish in front and silver and gold spangled Spitzhaubens in the back. They are around 2 wks old.

@Faraday40

Was looking at your photos again. Good looking girls. I like the nice clean white on them both.

Almost looks like the dark one has round spots, and the lighter one has ...... Commas?

@Faraday40

Was looking at your photos again. Good looking girls. I like the nice clean white on them both.

Almost looks like the dark one has round spots, and the lighter one has ...... Commas?
I am no closer to picking a favorite. I think the smaller crested one is closer to standard, but the poofy one stands out & makes people notice her. Since it's summer, we don't have to worry about getting the numbers down yet. Both get to roam the yard & explore. I have a group of 7 that hatched together in March. We call them "the teens" because they often just "hang out" together. Here they are hanging out at their fav spot - the stump.

Within that group, the 2 Spitzes are BFFs, the 3 orps make a trio, and the Bielefelder & RIR are partners in crime when it comes to raiding the treats. Chicken relations are fun to observe.

Does anyone know if they (Spitzhaubens) begin to lay at age 4mo or do they take longer? I know I've got a long wait for the Biele & Orps to begin. (I had an orp take 9mo to lay her 1st egg!)

I always seem to raise my spitz with my leghorns... So no idea on age at first egg. :idunno

I can tell you my spitz work hard at laying an egg almost every single day. They tend to be on the small side, and actually a bit buffy white, so if I look closely I can tell them apart from my Leghorns.

Back
Top Bottom