'Splain something to me in re to baseball-type caps

woodmort

RIP 1938-2020
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
Last night my wife and I ate at a fairly upscale restaurant--linen table cloth and napkins, candles on the table, menus, waitresses and you need reservations type of place. Midway through our meal a group of 6 came in, all three males--mid 30's to 40's--wearing baseball caps--not especially clean ones either--which they kept on during the whole meal. What's with that? Don't these guys know that it is not only impolite but that they look like hicks? ( I suggested that I could go out to the car and get mine but I would have to have kicked it through the parking lot to get it into the condition these yahoos were wearing.) Now I've nothing against baseball/golf hats, I have a bunch that I wear all the time but I don't even eat in a fastfood place without taking it off. I guess we're raising a bunch of louts. BTW, we stopped and asked the owner how he felt about it and he just shook his head and said he didn't like it but he wasn't in the business to teach manners either.

We went to a restaurant in Atlanta a couple of winters ago. Hubby was wearing his coat and hat. We had reservations, so were seated immediately upon coming in the front door. On the way to the table, the hostess asked hubby to remove his hat, which of course he planned to do along with his coat when we got to the table.

We see so many men at the football games (we're season tx holders) who don't remove their hats for the anthem. I want to do it for them - nobody sitting near me gets to leave his hat on!

I am in the business of teaching manners in a public middle school... and its an uphill battle, let me tell you. Ive found that there are 2 reasons for this. One, you mentioned already... it just isnt taught..period...at all...by the time these kids get to me, the idea of manners is admitting weakness. The other reason is that these kids have been "self-esteemed" into stupidity. They have been taught to "just be yourself", "Im a-ok the way I am" and "I don't need to change." They are so spoiled they figure everyone must love them already, so why waste time being polite? Seems like 30-40 year olds would have been of a generation to "get it". Guess not.

I think they were louts! And the women with them were the female version of louts...loutesses?

My kid's middle school concerts actually have a "concert manners" section on the back of the program. It has to include stuff like no yelling or whistling as part of the applause. It mentions cell phones and hand held devices, but it doesn't mention hats. At each concert there are plenty of men with hats, and lots of people playing with their phones. I wonder how these people behave in church? The people with the phones particularly annoy me. You can't show some respect for the effort the kids have put in and put your priorities on hold for an hour? I think many of people have been taught only minimal manners, and almost all have an over inflated sense of importance. At my kid's last band concert, the folks sitting next to us were all doing something else during the concert. Mom had a Kindle, Dad had a phone and kiddo had a DS.

my son 23 wears a hat 24/7 either a baseball cap or a beanie, he works outside all day 6 days a week and only changes it for a clean one. He does wear it in the house but when ever we sit down to the table to eat where ever we are he takes it off. oh and he takes it off as soon as he walks into my mum and dads house or a pub/restaurant etc. It honestly doesnt bother me im so used to seeing it on a daily basis. In my job as a trainer nearly all the under 30's lads wear hats of some description in the classroom which does annoy me as i have always attended courses appropriatly dressed for the job im training for. I personally only wear one in the sun or the cold lol occaisionally at a wedding if i really have too. it fashion that has turned to habit and in this economic market dress codes for restuarants etc have gone out the window along with manners

I think that when I go out, I don't notice what other people are doing or not doing, whether men are wearing hats or not, etc. That being said, though, my husband wears those kinds of hats, and if we went into a restaurant and he didn't take it off, though, believe me, he'd get a loving nudge and a reminder to remove his hat in a restaurant!

However, I doubt I would ruin my night out by worrying about a buncha guys who are so ignorant they'd wear baseball caps in a nice restaurant. Why did you let that affect your experience of your night out, really? For me it's preferable to pay attention to what's going on at my own table rather than sit in a restaurant and judge others for how they may or may not be dressed. Everybody's different, though. I try to not be so judgmental towards others... someday, someone may be judgmental toward me for doing something unorthodox (cuuuz there ain't nuttin' orthodox about me). I truly believe that what goes around comes around, so I don't judge others for how they dress.

I agree... I don't like it either. And I know most of the "offenders" are of the age that they had the same upbringing about respect and manners that I did. Where'd it go?
hu.gif

Quote:
Yep! I always taught my boys proper meal and hat etiquette~the full range of manners, in fact~ and would never even allow them to wear hats unless for working outside until they were in their late teens....who needs a hat in a school? Or when it isn't cold? Or when the sun is not glaring in your eyes? That's why God gave ya hair!
tongue.png

That being said, I could care less what the folks around me are doing in a nice restuarant~or any place~ unless it is actively interferring with the enjoyment of my meal!
wink.png

Quote:
I really don't think it ruined his evening...just an observation.! I know when we go out to a resturant...people watching is entertaining to say the least.

My opinion is ..we are quickly becoming a nation without manners. People do not seem to care any more and manners is not a high priority, at home or in public.

Back
Top Bottom