Splash ameraucana chick- leg color question

Floof

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 28, 2015
I've separated out my splash ameraucanas and done a test hatch. My original ameraucanas came from cackle as blue ameraucana and I happened to be gifted a splash ameraucana rooster but did not think to ask his origins as I was just so glad to be rid of my mean blue am rooster. I have 3 splash am birds now that I run together from the blue cackle hen and the gifted splash am roo. Since I didn't think to get the origin story for the original splash roo, I've been hesitant to add these guys to my breeding pool. I did a test hatch just to see what I'd get in terms of standard. They're hatching out right now and here is the first chick. About 1/3 of the eggs failed to develop (has to be a problem with the hens as this splash roo also covers my 2 barred hens that I use to breed sexlinks and they had 100% fertility). Pea comb looks right, soles look right, but the leg color is...pinkish? Anyone else have experience with splash ameraucana and know if this is common? If these guys won't ruin my gene pool then I'll switch them into my blue and black pen.
20220502_230036.jpg
20220502_230139.jpg
20220502_230116.jpg

I have seen slate-legged breeds' chicks hatch out with lighter legs that darken as they grow, but they generally at least have a grayish cast to them at hatch, which I'm not really seeing in your pictures... Pictures of the adults would help, especially the male of unknown origin.

I have seen slate-legged breeds' chicks hatch out with lighter legs that darken as they grow, but they generally at least have a grayish cast to them at hatch, which I'm not really seeing in your pictures... Pictures of the adults would help, especially the male of unknown origin.
Unfortunately the male of unknown origin died shortly after fighting off a predator. He saved all the hens but had some internal injuries that took him in the night. I can post pictures of the splash babies (now adults) he produced though :)

I know the clay soil on my property makes it hard to judge color of plumage but I assure you they're splash under all that clay mud.

Well, that's unfortunate. Sorry you lost him! You have no pictures of him at all?

Do you remember what color feet these other Splash offspring of his had as chicks?

Well, that's unfortunate. Sorry you lost him! You have no pictures of him at all?

Do you remember what color feet these other Splash offspring of his had as chicks?
They were raised by a broody so I couldn't get close enough to them to check but they have the right color legs and feet as of now :confused:

Well, shoot. I guess you'll just have to wait and see if this little one develops properly for a Splash Ameraucana. :confused: I've had chicks hatch with pale legs and develop the slate color later on, but that was influenced by them inheriting dominant White. I'm not sure if the same can happen with Splash or not.

Back
Top Bottom