Splash Marans vs Mutt look alike?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by VioletBlueIvy, Jun 16, 2010.

1. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    I had an earlier post trying to find out what my new hens are. This one, Gritch I still dont have an answer for. Someone mentioned she could be splash in color. So I followed up and this is what I found;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A picture of splash Marans from feathersite
    [​IMG]

They look the same to me, but I am a complete novice, and many of the different breeds if they share a color, look the same to me. How do you tell between a mutt look alike and a purebred bird?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I know what you mean. There's alots of things to consider along with color. I would look at the comb and waddles (or is it wattles), and also the color of the legs. And of course size and body mass.....even things right down to eye color. I've noticed some of my chickens have big eyes, and others have small eyes too.

She does look like a splash Marans.....maybe she'll lay a nice dark egg for you.....[​IMG]

3. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    That would be great! I have an 8 week old or so Marans rooster. I would love a hen, but it just doesn't seem possible that I could have accidentally bought something I have been looking for and unable to find. [​IMG]

4. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Maybe lady luck was on your side that day! I sure hope so! [​IMG]

5. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OH, I wanted to tell you that, the Meyer Hatchery in Polk Ohio sells splash marans, and they sell hatching eggs too if you've got an incy.....

6. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    How old is this girl? Is she laying yet?

7. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    She looks to me like a splash giant (im not for sure if you would say splash jersey giant... or?) i noticed her leg coloring was darker, or maybe its just the picture, just like a jersey giants.

8. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Splash Marans can have slate colored legs or the pink/white colored legs, either is acceptable, but they are not usually as dark slate as say the black coppers or a blue copper. The bottoms of their feet should be pink. [​IMG]

I'm wondering if she started to lay yet.......the egg color should give it away. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Splash Marans can have slate colored legs or the pink/white colored legs, either is acceptable, but they are not usually as dark slate as say the black coppers or a blue copper. The bottoms of their feet should be pink. [​IMG]

I'm wondering if she started to lay yet.......the egg color should give it away. [​IMG]

But in the third picture down you can see the bottom of the feet and they look yellow...

Chris

10. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State

But in the third picture down you can see the bottom of the feet and they look yellow...

Chris

Yeah...I saw that and can't really make out the color, I was just giving a little more detail about the leg color of a Splash Marans. To me she does not appear to be a Marans but that is just me and that is why I asked the egg question..... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by