Splash Marans vs Mutt look alike?

VioletBlueIvy

Songster
11 Years
Jan 29, 2010
I had an earlier post trying to find out what my new hens are. This one, Gritch I still dont have an answer for. Someone mentioned she could be splash in color. So I followed up and this is what I found;
DSCN0619.jpg

DSCN0618.jpg

DSCN0617.jpg

DSCN0609.jpg

A picture of splash Marans from feathersite
SplashMarans.jpg

They look the same to me, but I am a complete novice, and many of the different breeds if they share a color, look the same to me. How do you tell between a mutt look alike and a purebred bird?

I know what you mean. There's alots of things to consider along with color. I would look at the comb and waddles (or is it wattles), and also the color of the legs. And of course size and body mass.....even things right down to eye color. I've noticed some of my chickens have big eyes, and others have small eyes too.

She does look like a splash Marans.....maybe she'll lay a nice dark egg for you.....
smile.png

That would be great! I have an 8 week old or so Marans rooster. I would love a hen, but it just doesn't seem possible that I could have accidentally bought something I have been looking for and unable to find.
hu.gif

OH, I wanted to tell you that, the Meyer Hatchery in Polk Ohio sells splash marans, and they sell hatching eggs too if you've got an incy.....

She looks to me like a splash giant (im not for sure if you would say splash jersey giant... or?) i noticed her leg coloring was darker, or maybe its just the picture, just like a jersey giants.

Quote:
Splash Marans can have slate colored legs or the pink/white colored legs, either is acceptable, but they are not usually as dark slate as say the black coppers or a blue copper. The bottoms of their feet should be pink.
smile.png

I'm wondering if she started to lay yet.......the egg color should give it away.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Splash Marans can have slate colored legs or the pink/white colored legs, either is acceptable, but they are not usually as dark slate as say the black coppers or a blue copper. The bottoms of their feet should be pink.
smile.png

I'm wondering if she started to lay yet.......the egg color should give it away.
wink.png

But in the third picture down you can see the bottom of the feet and they look yellow...

Chris

Quote:
smile.png

wink.png

But in the third picture down you can see the bottom of the feet and they look yellow...

Chris

Yeah...I saw that and can't really make out the color, I was just giving a little more detail about the leg color of a Splash Marans. To me she does not appear to be a Marans but that is just me and that is why I asked the egg question.....
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom