Splash Marans?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HJECG, Feb 8, 2014.

1. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    This is my 7 month old pullet, sold to me as a chick as a Splash Marans. She's already laying, and her eggs are quite dark brown, but not as chocolatey brown as my black copper Marans hen. But I'm beginning to wonder what she actually is because she doesn't seem to be developing a comb at all (see photo). Her coloring is right for a Splash Marans, and although she's still very gangly,,her body shape and size are about right. She also has feathered legs - right down to her toes. But aren't all Marans hens supposed to have a well developed, stand-up comb? My black copper girl certainly does. Thoughts? Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Some lines are different, she sounds like a Splash Marans to me. It may develop more as she gets older, it may not. Just enjoy her!

3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Is this a pic of her as she looks today? If so she does not look even close like she is laying eggs. Her comb is very small and pale pink, her comb should be bright red if she is laying eggs. Also Blue Copper and Splash Marans typically though not always lay lighter eggs than Black Coppers. She sounds like a Splash Marans the way you describe her, do you have a full body pic of her?

1 person likes this.
  4. AfewBricks

AfewBricks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2013
    I donno, I'm new to this, but I've read things about combs shrinking and changing colour in regards to weather/ seasons and health. Mites can cause a pale comb? My cuckoo marans have small combs.

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    combs will shrink a little in cold weather, especially rose combs. But strait combs dont normally and if they do it is barley noticable.
    X2

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, that bird doesn't look like she's mature enough to lay. Full body profile shot would help tell her breed.

7. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    She definitely does look very immature but I can promise you, she's laying! Thanks for all the feedback. I'll snap a full body shot today and post. I'd love to hear what you guys think she looks like. :)

8. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    Here are a few more shots of her (not the best - sorry!), and here's a photo of one of her eggs next to my Easter Egger's egg [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  9. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    [​IMG]

10. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by