Splash Orpington- Hen or Roo?

If that is true and she is a BSL, its a female. We'll see.

Definitely explains a lot though.
BSLs are just crosses that result in barred males and females without barring. The pairing is SO easy to make, that literally anyone can breed BSLs.

ANY male without barring crossed with ANY female with barring will result in what is known as black sexlinks. As long as dominant white, silver, etc. isn't involved, the barring sould show up pretty well. Because hatcheries always use the same two breeds to make them, they always result in similarly looking offspring. If she came out of a "breeder" it would explain the differences. Not sure if he bred his own birds, though.

BSLs are just crosses that result in barred males and females without barring. The pairing is SO easy to make, that literally anyone can breed BSLs.

ANY male without barring crossed with ANY female with barring will result in what is known as black sexlinks. As long as dominant white, silver, etc. isn't involved, the barring sould show up pretty well. Because hatcheries always use the same two breeds to make them, they always result in similarly looking offspring. If she came out of a "breeder" it would explain the differences. Not sure if he bred his own birds, though.
That makes sense. Yes I do know for a fact he does breed his own

So a little update. I’ve seen a bit of rooster behavior which is definitely leading me to believe cockerel. “He” will stand up and watch over the flock when I put fresh food and water in and wait patiently until their attention goes elsewhere then will eat and drink. Always up when the hens heads are down. Seeing this at such an early age leads me to believe he may be a good rooster!

Back
Top Bottom