Splash silkie - boy or girl??

DearHenrietta

Hatching
6 Years
May 12, 2013
Inland Empire, California

This is a 3.5 month old splash that I'm thinking of buying. The breeder will not guess the gender, but from what I've read, it looks like a pullet. Right?!

I say pullet, too, although my white silkie pullet kept me guessing until she laid an egg! I like those splash markings; very pretty :)

WHOO HOO!! After a couple of weeks thinking "she" was a "he" - SHE LAID AN EGG!!!

She's VERY noisy, though! I thought for sure she was a roo because she is so LOUD! Has anyone else had this problem? I can't have roosters in my area, and I DON'T have any roosters, but a loud chicken is just as bad! I have tried covering the coop with a tarp, and that has helped some for the early morning "chattiness", but when she is about to lay (it's 11:30 and she's at it right now), she gets loud again! Is there anything I can do, or am I stuck with a talker?

Some girls do like to talk. Some older hens DO crow as well. Sounds like yours is particularly chatty! Is it really that bad? You could try soundproofing your coop. You could ask your neighbours if they can hear her (mine are quite deaf on the side that the chickens live on and I don't think they ever really hear mine).

Back
Top Bottom