"Splash" Spangled Russian Orloff - is there such a thing?

Blue Eggerz

Chirping
Sep 4, 2019
West Coast, Washington State
Greetings, peeps! I'm a newb to the chicken breed identifications, and was wanting to try raising some Russian Orloffs. Mostly because I think they are beautiful... and fairly rare. My question is though, I like the splashy, lighter colors - is there such a thing as a "SPLASH" Spangled Russian Orloff? I thought Spangled was the 'splash' color, but seems that's not necessarily true. I've seen white-ish colors with the spots/dots/splashes of colors on them, and that's what I'm hoping to find. I know they're not recognized, etc., but I want them for their looks and general docility. I don't care so much for the darker colored ones (Mahogany, I think the color is called), but am trying to find the light colors.

Would I be correct in doing a ISO ad for "Splash Spangled Russian Orloff's"? If not, how would I word it?

Thank you!

(Pics for examples of what I'm looking for)
SplashOrlCkl1.JPEG

542696-724678636728361c695b13dc2ad40535.jpg

ba4ede8501183af2b14d96a4d9982aa8.jpg

Honestly they look like poorly marked Spangled Russian Orloffs to me. Are Calicos a recognized or project variety within the Orloffs?

I imagine you could make a Spangled Orloff on a Lavender Ground Color or possibly, Blue/Splash. Perhaps @nicalandia or @The Moonshiner could best tell you how to develop them.

Splash Orloffs from the pics seem to be Black Breasted Red(based on Wheaten) with hysterical mottling(as opposed to fine patterned mottling found in spangled Old English Games or Anconas), Spangled Orloffs are Black Mottled based, they are two different pattern based on different e allele background, so they can't be Splash and Spangled at the same time.

Anyone with pics of a Spangled Orloff chick? Would like to see how the down is, most likely the European type mottling mutation.

No pics, but some text. I saw three of them from Ideal Poultry a few months back. They were chipmunk-striped (looked like wild type). Except for the fat faces (muff/beard), they were colored the same as several other kinds of chicks in the same brooder: dark cornish (standard and bantam), and black breasted red cubalaya bantams. That batch also had spangled cornish bantams, who had black stripes or spots on white/yellow down (almost looked like a wild type chick with all the brown leached out)--so the two mottled breeds did NOT match for chick down.

Sorry for the no pics--I didn't have a camera handy at the time.

For the OP: Spangled Russian Orloff hens from Ideal Poultry seem to be a mahogany red color, with black tail and some kind of black patterning in the feathers. When I saw them at 2 months old, they had very little mottling--just a bit around the head and breast. One of the three had no muff/beard, one had a small feather on the shank of one leg, and the third had a small feather on the shank of each leg. They were all pullets of the same age, but were all different sizes, so they were clearly not growing at the same rate.

If you just care about the amount of white spangling, the three spangled cornish bantams with the orloffs had a LOT more white. The whitest of the three had about as much white as the rooster you show--and he was about 2 months old at the time.

Greetings, peeps! I'm a newb to the chicken breed identifications, and was wanting to try raising some Russian Orloffs. Mostly because I think they are beautiful... and fairly rare. My question is though, I like the splashy, lighter colors - is there such a thing as a "SPLASH" Spangled Russian Orloff? I thought Spangled was the 'splash' color, but seems that's not necessarily true. I've seen white-ish colors with the spots/dots/splashes of colors on them, and that's what I'm hoping to find. I know they're not recognized, etc., but I want them for their looks and general docility. I don't care so much for the darker colored ones (Mahogany, I think the color is called), but am trying to find the light colors.

Would I be correct in doing a ISO ad for "Splash Spangled Russian Orloff's"? If not, how would I word it?

Thank you!

(Pics for examples of what I'm looking for)
SplashOrlCkl1.JPEG

542696-724678636728361c695b13dc2ad40535.jpg

ba4ede8501183af2b14d96a4d9982aa8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom