Splay leg fix for an adult?

Lilalienangel

Songster
Aug 28, 2019
So back when I first started and didn't know what I was doing; among the chicks had seemingly wider set hips than most. She still perched and could get around so I didn't worry about it much. Oddly it seems to be getting worse now that she is aging. At this point she can no longer perch. She can get around but very slowly. If a predator comes she is toast. At this point it looks just like splay leg on a chick.I have had to separate my roo to prevent breeding as that seems to make it worse. So my question is has anyone tried the splay leg splint and physical therapy on an adult chicken? I really would like to get her fixed and happy again..

So back when I first started and didn't know what I was doing; among the chicks had seemingly wider set hips than most. She still perched and could get around so I didn't worry about it much. Oddly it seems to be getting worse now that she is aging. At this point she can no longer perch. She can get around but very slowly. If a predator comes she is toast. At this point it looks just like splay leg on a chick.I have had to separate my roo to prevent breeding as that seems to make it worse. So my question is has anyone tried the splay leg splint and physical therapy on an adult chicken? I really would like to get her fixed and happy again..
I would try and create a leg splint like people do for chicks. It will have to be bigger and might need more support. you can use cause probably and vet wrap is what I'm thinking to construct it. Ive never done it my self but I really hope it helps- i'd do anything for my chickens too so I know how sad it is when they aren't doing well. You could always take her to a vet- they would help and probably construct the thing for you.

She is cooped up now. I will get pictures first thing in the morning. I know it is genetic though. I accidentally hatched an egg of hers and it had the same issue. The difference is I knew what I doing this time. I splinted her and now I can't even pick her out from the bunch of chicks I sold the that lady. I have pictures but they are kind of old. You can't even tell there is an issue.

These are the older pictures I don't think you can tell but I don't think you can tell anything.. It's worth the shot though.

Attachments

• 20200215_164738-1.jpg
    20200215_164738-1.jpg
    579.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20191105_164846.jpg
    20191105_164846.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 24
Be sure to try to get pictures of the legs from the front or back straight on. Splay legs are usually noticed right away as a newly hatched chick. But leg bone deformities or slipped tendons can worsen with age and becoome more evident.

Back
Top Bottom