Splay leg, or something else?

cassiadawn

Songster
14 Years
Apr 13, 2009
SK, Canada
I have one Am. Buff gosling that seems to have something a bit funny going on with its legs. His upper legs might be turning out a little (it's hard to tell, so if they are, it's not much), and his lower legs seem to be turning in and making him pigeon toed. Does this sound like something that could be caused by splay/spraddle leg? Or is it something else entirely?

Does anyone have any pics of goslings with splay leg that I could compare to?

Last edited:
I don't have pics, but one of mine was spraddle-legged when he hatched. His were classic, spread-eagle style. I'm not sure that's what yours is? Pics would be helpful
smile.png

A guy at work brought this one to me - It was a severe case in a gosling about two weeks old.

46956_goose_splay_leg.jpg

The poor little thing was still living with the parents- I dont know how it was still alive. I tapped its legs and gave it unlimited food as it was so thin- and It was returned home- not just walking- but running around like a normal goose again.

Here's some photos (sorry they're not great - goslings are harder to photograph than I would have thought!)

oddlegs1.jpg
oddlegs2.jpg
oddlegs3.jpg
oddlegs4.jpg

And a video... I think it's a little easier to see on the video. He's the one in the back on the right.

I agree with it being a problem with the hips. I havent ever encountered something like that before- so dont know what to suggest.

His little joints look a little unusual in the pictures too but could just be the way he has to hold his legs, especially if its a hip problem. I've never had any with that problem so I don't have any suggestions either. He looks nice and healthy otherwise so I hope you come up with an answer. Good Luck!

Coming in a little late here I know, but I turned this up searching for info on a gosling that just hatched with spraddle leg.

I wonder if there is any chance a niacin deficiency is your problem? I've read about it and seen pics, but never had problems so far with any of my ducklings or goslings (though I'm going to supplement my duckling flock starting tomorrow since I have a few who are showing a wider stance than I like, just to be safe).

But the pics I've seen very often show very widely spaced legs, and it seems the feet tend to turn in also.

If it is a niacin deficiency (ducklings and goslings need more than chicks so it can happen on chick starter, or scratch/corn, etc.), then it very often can be resolved by giving them niacin. If it's not that, excess niacin will flush anyway, so it shouldn't hurt.

Just wanted to mention that, in case it can help.

Back
Top Bottom