1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Splay leg? picture heavy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Madcap621, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is it splay leg? It's just on the right. If so, do I put the splint above or below the....Ummm... if it were a dog, it would be the hock? [​IMG]

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I'm no expert but that's what it looks like to me. When I fixed my chicks legs I cut a bandaid long ways then wrapped the sticky part around each leg. The cotton part of the bandaid is in the middle and works good as measurement for how far apart. It worked for me when I had 3 with it. Hope that helps. [​IMG]

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    It could also be a slipped tendon.

4. cimarron

cimarron Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Central Tejas
    i would recommend bird vitamins for this little guy in addition to any splinting. you can get them at the pet store. use them for a few weeks. it was bird vitamins that helped our chicken with rubber legs, ribavarin deficiency, is what we think it was...

good luck!

5. Orphy

Orphy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    Is that one of the chicks with the extra toes? I had one of those that had a hard time walking after being hatched. I gave her a day or so and she was walking around fine. I think they have a hard time with the extra toe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by